Hello all,

I haven't posted in quite awhile, we have been very busy getting on with our lives, but I still check the site occasionally when I have time. Just wanted to let everyone know that we received our AOS Interview date. By the way, this is for the SF office. We filed Aug 14th, so it has taken approximately 8 months or so. Not great, but not too bad if you compare it to Atlanta! As usual, keeping with BCIS SOP's we have just over a week to prepare! The interview is scheduled for May 3rd, and we just received the letter today! FYI, they do request that you bring a translator (disinterested 3rd party, not the petitioner nor an attorney) if the petitionee cannot speak English. Lucky for us we know the sister of a friend who lives in the Bay Area and has offered to help us with this. Will post again once she passes! If any of you wish to see a copy of the letter, I can scan it and send it to you via email if you PM me.

Good luck to all!

Hello all,

Well we're finally back home, and I'm happy to say that we have successfully jumped through another INS/BCIS/USCIS hoop! Only one more after this (I-751 in 2 years)! A brief report on how the AOS interview is conducted at the SF District office for those of you looking forward to that. Although I must say that I get the feeling that the scope of every interview, much like the interview in GZ, is very dependant on the interviewing officer. Here is how it went for us (K-1 & K-2) yesterday:

1. If you remember, we needed to have a interpreter available for my wife as I was not allowed to interpret for her (conflict of interest). We had asked the sister of a friend of ours who lived in the Bay Area, and she agreed to do so. PLEASE TAKE NOTE: The first question the officer asked our friend's sister was, "Are you a legal U.S. citizen or legal alien?" Unfortunately, she was here on a F-1 visa, so she was neither. After informing us that this was not okay, and after me informing him that no where on the paperwork does it specify this, he checked with his supervisor, and got the okay to move forward. A slight scare, but no problem after all. However, for those of you who need an interpreter, you might be forewarned about this prior to now little known fact.

2. Aside from the standard questions concerning phone numbers, addresses, job, etc, he only asked me two questions: When were we married, and what my wife's birthday was. After I answered both questions correctly, he laughed and said that I passed, and it was a good thing that I remembered those two dates as my wife would be angry if I didn't.

3. As for the questions he asked my wife, basically he went right down the I-485 form and asked every single one of the questions that we had answered "no" to on the form (ie, are you a member of the Communist party; have you ever worked as a prostitute, etc). It was somewhat humorous as my wife responded "meiyou" to every question, especially the one regarding illegitimate children when she responded with a "meiyou" in a tone of voice like, "what, are you crazy?" We all laughed, including the officer, and then I told him, "if there are, I don't know anything about it!"

4. As for her 13-year old daughter, he only asked her 2 questions, "Is this your address?", and "Who all lives with you at this address?" Not including some chitchat questions about her school, etc. Her daughter, who can speak English, answered correctly, and that was that.

5. He did ask to see the 1040's AND W-2's from the previous 3 years (while I had all of the 1040's, I could not find the W-2's from 2001, so I brought the 1040 and W-2"s for 2000, and he was okay with this); letter of employment; Joint-checking account statement, Health Insurance cards, and wedding photos. He kept one photo of our wedding, and one photo of the three of us at my son's wedding as proof of the relationship.

6. All in all, not a painful experience. Our appointment was for 2:00 and 2:45, we had arrived about 1:15, entered the building, checked in at the appropriate desk, and we were out of there by 2:30!

Now, I will just have to remember to file the I-751!

Good luck to all, and if you have any additional questions, please respond!