Residence permit. Can I sell my paintings?

Just wondering if...with my 2 year temp resident permit...had Q1...wife Chinese citizen...can I have an exhibition and sell my paintings? 69 years old. Retired. Thanks!! Sorry this is in the wrong location on the forum.

13 hours ago, mahko said:

Just wondering if...with my 2 year temp resident permit...had Q1...wife Chinese citizen...can I have an exhibition and sell my paintings? 69 years old. Retired. Thanks!! Sorry this is in the wrong location on the forum.

Selling a painting(s) to a friend should not be a problem, but an exhibition would require a permit. Requirements vary depending on the city and exhibition. 

You most likely have a family reunion residence permit in your passport that would not allow employment.

https://www.facebook.com/share/443g8QpwEzf6fPRX/?mibextid=oFDknkThis popped up on my Facebook feed from the Sixth Tone

I honestly think the sale would not be a problem, but exhibiting the paintings and marketing them would,unless your wife can do this for you.

Brandon Collins-Green has eked out a simple life since moving to eastern China, where he has created 4,200 original paintings inspired by “Dream of the Red Chamber” and other classic works.

In March, lifestyle video channel Yit met with him at his home to discuss his art, lifestyle, and love for ancient Chinese literature. These are his words:

My hometown is in a mountain forest in Ontario, Canada. For my undergraduate degree, I studied accounting at the business school of the University of Toronto. After studying for three years, I discovered that the entire subject of economics is a lie, so I didn’t finish my bachelor’s degree and instead went abroad for academic exchange and travel. I finally settled in Nanchang.

I now live in a 9-square-meter room above a record store, which costs 350 yuan a month. The cement walls are too thin, so the room is hotter than the outside in summers, and turning on the air conditioner is no use. In winter, the room is colder than outside. I recently bought a secondhand water heater and finally got hot water. Although the house is dilapidated, it has a certain aesthetic. I don’t think it’s ugly.

I’ve never studied art, nor do I consider myself a painter. I don’t have many painting materials — just a bottle of black ink, a brush, and I only buy 10 sheets of yellow fine writing paper at a time, which are cut into appropriate sizes without any wastage. 
When I go out, I never lock the door. The only thing worth any money in my home are my paintings. Even if they were stolen, I’d be very happy because the theft would represent a kind of appreciation for them.

In 2008, when I was studying Chinese in Taipei, I read “Dream of the Red Chamber” and discovered for the first time that a novel could be so all-encompassing. My doctoral dissertation was also about “Dream of the Red Chamber.” During my studies, I translated most of the poems, songs, riddles, and dialogue into English, wrote more than a million words in essays, and produced over 2,000 paintings.

The biggest impact that “Dream of the Red Chamber” has had on me has been on my worldview. I used to be more optimistic, thinking that life would get better and better. Now I’m a bit similar to the character of Zhen Shiyin following his epiphany: A bit disillusioned with everything in the world and more negative.

All my clothes are military surplus because they are cheap and durable. I do not want to have unnecessary clothes — I only own three pairs of leather shoes, three pairs of long pants, two pairs of shorts, three shirts, and a coat, all of which have been mended countless times. When my glasses broke, I sent them to a friend who repairs porcelain to fix them for me.

All my income comes from selling paintings, which is extremely unstable. Most of the paintings I stored up before have been sold. In three years, without the help of an agent and relying entirely on myself, I have sold all 4,200 original works.

In the first four years after I started painting, I didn’t sell a single painting; I mostly gave them away. But later, I found that some recipients didn’t actually like the paintings and may have even thrown them away, so I decided to sell my works at the lowest price. Both original paintings and artwork albums are priced at 200 yuan each, which only covers the time put into them. 

Read more: https://ow.ly/zsmY50RE99T

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

Have your wife do it.

I follow several China groups and still know some people working there - they have cracked down hard on visa violations, the biggest one being "unauthorized work", which is often a gray area. Unless you need the money... be careful