Missing Wife_Still!!!

Some may recall my posting concerning this matter awhile back. On April 1 I got an email from my wife asking for divorce or at least asking if I agreed with her about a divorce. Since then, I also have not been able to contact her. No email, no phone. The whole thing is nuts. I have contacted a lawyer in Beijing who is affiliated with an American law firm, but their costs are USA Wall Street. Does anyone know exactly what the process for marriage registration is in China? As far as I know, we are legally married. I have the red book and all that, but we made a trip to the notarial office in Wuhan the same day after the marriage book was received. Does anyone know what this would have been for? My wife said this was so she could obtain a notarized certificate of her marriage. Is this something that is needed for further verification (proof) of marriage. Finally, does anyone know any family law experts in China who speak adequate English. Thanks.

.....but we made a trip to the notarial office in Wuhan the same day ....

I believe the red books are the marriage certificates and were registered there when you got them. The notorial is to get this notorized, which is in english and says the document it a true document. You would show this to GZ at the interview. She may also have gotten a notarial of her birth certificate.

Now this was for a divorce between a chinese couple. They just went to the hometown where they were married filed some papers and waited 30 days, returned and signed some more papers and they were divorced. I would think that perhaps the embassy in GZ could answer this for you.

Mark and Bea

I am very sorry to hear that you haven't heard anything since that last E-Mail.

I assume part of the problem is that she is scared to talk to you on many levels. It is much easier to hide from one's problems. And, it is much easier to maintain one's resolve to leave one's LOVE if one doesn't talk to him.

At this point, you have two choices.

1) Figure out how to finish the paperwork and move on (probably the best course of action).

2) Meet the family and see if you can pick up the broken pieces of the relationship (perhaps something that would lead to further heartbreak).

Best Wishes,

Clifford