U.S. ATM cards blocked from withdrawing in China now?

For several years we've used this method to send money to family in China: Leant an ATM card to my wife's family in China. My bank doesn't charge a fee for ATM use nor a fee for foreign ATM use either. It's been a nice way to send money without a fee (regular exchange rates in place I presume). But, they just got a new card from us, and it universally doesn't work at any bank. Tried four different banks who all reportedly can accept "Visa" and "plus system" type debit/ATM cards for withdrawal. 

On youtube I found a vid saying that banks in China are limiting cash withdrawals. 

Any info on a blanket-ban on foreign ATM cards working in China now for withdrawing cash from ATMs there?  

Thanks.

You're not saying which card you are talking about.

Using American cards in China has always been iffy, and subject to changing agreements between banks and policies within China.

The most reliable way to send small amounts of money has been Western Union and China Postal Savings on the receiving end. There are other topics in this forum about sending money to China. 

Others have suggested Wise Money Transfers. Please be specific with your own situation.

It's up to you to figure out which method works best for your own circumstances.

2 hours ago, birdman_ said:

On youtube I found a vid saying that banks in China are limiting cash withdrawals.

Nonsense, except at specific banks. See topics on this subject

http://candleforlove.com/forums/topic/47391-in-the-financial-news/?do=findComment&comment=649733

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

I've experienced changes in my Bank of America ATM card, which used to have a free agreement with Bank of China, and also my Discover card, which used to be accepted "anywhere that Union Pay cards were accepted in China". 

The BofA agreement just disappeared all of a sudden when new fees were introduced.

I used my Discover card for about 3 months and around $100 worth of charges before they stopped honoring it in Yulin. I had paid off each charge as soon as it appeared in my online account. Other places I tried in China didn't accept it at all.

My advice is to check out the Wise and Western Union transfers (or other similar possibilities). Western Union is cheapest if you go to the Western Union facility (often just at a grocery store).

Be wary of what exchange rate you (or the recipient) end up paying. I believe Xoom is especially bad at that. Western Union allows you to send in dollars, and the recipient change to RMB at their end at a more favorable rate.

• 7 months later...

Hello,  An old post.  Just noticed the date.  The last time I was in Nanning.  Two year ago.  I had problems using my B/A ATM card at the Bank of China ATM.  Lao po called the bank.  Was told that we had to go to the main B of C branch.  I believe that is on 39  Gucheng Lu.  Went there several times and had no problem.  Just there was  a daily limit.  I think either 3000 or 3500 RMB.  Danb

On 4/14/2023 at 1:30 AM, danb said:

Hello,  An old post.  Just noticed the date.  The last time I was in Nanning.  Two year ago.  I had problems using my B/A ATM card at the Bank of China ATM.  Lao po called the bank.  Was told that we had to go to the main B of C branch.  I believe that is on 39  Gucheng Lu.  Went there several times and had no problem.  Just there was  a daily limit.  I think either 3000 or 3500 RMB.  Danb

We always used Charles Schwab for international withdrawals and had no issues whatsoever (except for the daily limit). Now we just send the money via Wise directly to my wife's Alipay account before flying out, it's nice not to have to deal with so much cash.

• 6 months later...
1 hour ago, ifearyeti said:

My 2 VISA debit cards didn't work out at the Construction Bank ATM, but Agriculture Bank spit out the yuan.

Agreements like that are iffy at best - enjoy it while you can. I was able to use my Discover card  here in Yulin ("Use Discover anywhere they accept Union Pay") before the regional processing people noticed and started declining the charges. My BofA ATM card lasted about 3 years for free-of-charge withdrawals.