The Real Lives of America’s Chinese Masseuses

Randy W

from the Sixth Tone

The Real Lives of America’s Chinese Masseuses
The recent mass shooting in Atlanta has highlighted the vulnerability of Asian women who work in American massage parlors. But they face systematic oppression as well as individual hate.

884.jpg
Asian Americans and New Yorkers at a peace vigil for the victims of the Atlanta spa shootings, March 19, 2021. Tayfun Coskun/Anadolu Agency/People Visual

Many massage parlor workers say they earn more and enjoy more freedom than at other jobs. Although the parlors’ hours are long — 12 hours a day, six days a week is the norm — employees are only busy when customers are around. In their down time, they can watch TV or video-chat with friends and family back home on their iPads or phones. On top of that, the massage parlor owners are rarely on-site, giving them even more space.

However, this freedom also brings risks. Chinese massage parlors have always been an easy target for robberies, but this is especially true since the pandemic began: As business fell to a third or a quarter of its usual numbers, many owners chose to downsize their staff, leaving only one worker to run the entire parlor. This made them even more vulnerable.

Some massage parlor workers and owners might try going to the police for protection, but most stay silent. “The police are absolutely useless. Reporting an incident to them is just a waste of time,” Chang informed me. A proud woman with a thick Northeast China accent, Chang was laid off from her managerial job at a large state-owned company about 20 years ago. She spent years adrift in a difficult job market, especially for middle-aged women, before rolling the dice and emigrating to the United States. Now in her 50s, the massage parlor where she works has been robbed on multiple occasions, but every time she calls the police, she feels like they’re bullying her.

Indeed, many of the massage parlor workers I’ve spoken with distrust law enforcement, saying the police look down on parlor workers as human trafficking victims, undocumented immigrants, illegal sex workers, or just ignorant Asians with limited English: at any rate, certainly not “decent citizens” worthy of their protection.

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

I am glad that I was able to start my wife's own business.   She does speak English and types 65 wpm so she could have gotten a decent job I do think plus she has a Masters's Degree in Economics.  Not many of those jobs here in a small town though.   Over the last 21 years, it has worked out way beyond our expectations.

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

My wife is a massage therapist, certified in California. Randy, the article fits her to a T. A guy came in one day and while the others went for lunch, the wife stayed behind. He ended up taking all the laptops, cell phones, and tablet. In the struggle he cut her shoulder.

After the doctor, the exams, and the shock and blood, she is doing all right. We went to the cops and it was a disaster. She clammed up the minute she saw the gun on the detective's belt.

As soon as the organization was formed I joined the Stop AAPI group and donated to the cause. As what happened in  Atlanta. we fight for more respect to the Asian community. No more Model Minority. No more not going to the police. At least document that it happened. And watch your surroundings.

She now is afraid to go anywhere without me. And I am going to the pistol range more often.

• Sad 1