WeChat Closing

izus

I am pretty sure this topic has already been spoken about in full please delete and point to the thread

If anyone knew these questions my wife and I have about stupid things our government is currently doing Candle would.

What are some of you guys doing with this situation not being able to communicate with family anymore.

What apps are ready to take up the slack?

thanks

I am pretty sure this topic has already been spoken about in full please delete and point to the thread

If anyone knew these questions my wife and I have about stupid things our government is currently doing Candle would.

What are some of you guys doing with this situation not being able to communicate with family anymore.

What apps are ready to take up the slack?

thanks

Hello there, Bill.

It's simply a gleam in Trump's eye at this point. Wait and see what develops. I would be surprised if he could even get Google to take it out of the Play Store. As long as you still have a copy of it, I expect it'll still work fine. And the Chinese version should continue to be upgradeable, as before.

I honestly don't expect anything to come of it, but you never know. Beyond putting the English version in the Play Store, I wouldn't think that Weixin/WeChat has any assets in the US.

Trump would have a VERY difficult time Keeping America Great Firewalled.

Here's the latest news from CNBC. Since the apps are free and messages are free, it's hard to see what would constitute a "transaction".

Of course, ByteDance (TikTok owner) is in negotiations to sell TikTok to Disney. (Oops, Microsoft)

Trump issues executive orders banning U.S. transactions with WeChat and TikTok in 45 days

While the scope of the ban remains unclear, the executive orders said that after 45 days, Secretary of Commerce Wilbur Ross "shall identify the transactions" that will be subjected to the prohibition.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

from China Pictorial on Facebook

Overnight, US President Donald Trump signed an executive order prohibiting any US individual or company from doing business with #ByteDance (the owner of TikTok), and WeChat.
It's unclear how this could affect Apple's dealings in China, and whether the EO extends to dealings abroad or only on US soil. This is extremely important because if Apple somehow wound up prohibited from allowing WeChat on the App Store in China, the iPhone would effectively be made useless in the country. 99% of smartphones in China use WeChat, not only to communicate and interact through social media but to make payments, pay bills, purchase travel tickets, and more.

https://www.facebook.com/ChinaPic/photos/a.558235270968533/3004949846297051/?type=3

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)
  • 2 weeks later...

A little clarification, please! From the Global Times

TikTok to sue Trump administration over ban

"For nearly a year, we have been faithfully engaging with the US government to look for ways to address their concerns," the company stated in an online post. "However, the US government has turned a blind eye to facts and violated the normal legal procedure, even trying to force its will into commercial negotiation among companies."
"To ensure that the rule of law is not disregarded and that our company and users are treated fairly, we have no choice but to challenge the executive order through the judicial system," the company said.

• 9 months later...