Preparing for a second wave

Martin B

Anyone preparing for a potential "second wave" this fall/winter? I say that in quotes because it's questionable whether the first wave is really over. We're considering increasing our durable goods stockpile to 2 years, buying a second fridge/freezer, a couple of items of utilities outages (e.g. a few space heaters in case the gas goes out) and so on.

I was wondering about a second wave. However, after reading about some of the things that occurred over the weekend, I'm no longer wondering. Looks to me like the first wave, with some minor ups and downs, will roll pretty much continuously till it burns itself out in late fall.

My wife is being very cautious. She has only gone to the market once in the last two months. I shop for fresh fruits and vegetables weekly. We do still walk early mornings in the park. She gets pretty antsy if we encounter anyone during the walk. Lately we have only encountered one other person out walking at 4 a.m.

• Like 1

I was wondering about a second wave. However, after reading about some of the things that occurred over the weekend, I'm no longer wondering. Looks to me like the first wave, with some minor ups and downs, will roll pretty much continuously till it burns itself out in late fall.

My wife is being very cautious. She has only gone to the market once in the last two months. I shop for fresh fruits and vegetables weekly. We do still walk early mornings in the park. She gets pretty antsy if we encounter anyone during the walk. Lately we have only encountered one other person out walking at 4 a.m.

I've been thinking about the second wave as well. The chances that we eliminate the virus via lockdown is basically zero. Even if we had gone on total lockdown in Mar-April, there's always a chance it re-flares if an infected traveler comes back down the road. It's going to be a continuous whack a mole trying to snuff out hotspots.

The low hanging fruit (masks, better hygiene, people going out fewer times per week, banning large gatherings, reducing travel, work from home if possible), plus increased general awareness, should hopefully be enough to keep the numbers from exploding even as states open back up. In our state, 80%+ of the deaths were in long-term care facilities like nursing homes - to say they dropped the ball there would be a huge understatement.

Edited by Barfus (see edit history)
  • Like 1