Visa Question

Hello Everyone,

My Nephew from China (Wife's side) is currently an exchange student in Los Angeles. Is there a way we can go through legal process to have him stay in the USA? He is my Sister-in-Laws son. My wife is a Permanent Resident and I'm from the USA. Any info would greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,

Vinny and Qing

Hello Everyone,

My Nephew from China (Wife's side) is currently an exchange student in Los Angeles. Is there a way we can go through legal process to have him stay in the USA? He is my Sister-in-Laws son. My wife is a Permanent Resident and I'm from the USA. Any info would greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,

Vinny and Qing

Is he here on an F1? If so, some sort of work visa after graduation. Or claim asylum. Otherwise, no.

Edited by Barfus (see edit history)

Your wife sponsors her brother if she has citizenship. Then he gets citizenship 5 years later. Easily a 15-20 year process, if not more, at which point he will age out.

There are very few options available for non-immediate relatives of US citizens or green card holders. Pretty much work or asylum.

Depends on visa type if a student visa there are ways to adjust status, either through a job or perhaps marriage to a us citizen.

However if the visa is a J-1 visa, this type tends to require returning to home country and remaining there at least 2 years before they can emigrate, they require a waiver issued by foreign country.

There are exchange student programs which can allow your brother-in-law's son to attend a school in the U.S. which is accredited for this purpose. I'm not able to search for it right now - try our search page if you get to it first.

The accepting school will need to issue a form to be used for the visa application in China.

See

Going to School in USA