Health Insurance for In-Laws

gzbabi

My mother in-law just arrived and will be staying with us (approved GC immigration), she does not have health insurance and my employee plan would not cover her. Any affordable individual plans we could look into?

My mother in-law just arrived and will be staying with us (approved GC immigration), she does not have health insurance and my employee plan would not cover her. Any affordable individual plans we could look into?

How old is she? You can look into your state's ACA plans, if she's not working she may be eligible for a subsidy. Although the plans are pretty crummy and have astronomical deductibles/OOP maximums.

I think that's the way to go, will look into. She is 71, but I believe she does not qualify for Medicare yet, as she needs to be resident for 5 years I believe. I will check ACA

Buy a plan from your state's health insurance exchange (Obamacare marketplace) from healthcare.gov. Although open enrollment is over for most states, she should qualify for a special enrollment period since she just moved to the US.

FYI to OP there is a time limit on when she can get in via special enrollment so definitely get on this ASAP ... I believe it's 30 (or maybe 60) days from the day she moves here.

Buy a plan from your state's health insurance exchange (Obamacare marketplace) from healthcare.gov. Although open enrollment is over for most states, she should qualify for a special enrollment period since she just moved to the US.

FYI to OP there is a time limit on when she can get in via special enrollment so definitely get on this ASAP ... I believe it's 30 (or maybe 60) days from the day she moves here.

It appears 60 days. She just arrived in the US 2 weeks ago, so we should be good. Now I try to find out if she needs a SSN for it, currently she does not have one yet

• 1 year later...