It seems to me that regulation AND limitations on what should balance available are necessary.

From Goldthread

Don’t blame wet markets for the coronavirus outbreak

https://www.goldthread2.com/food/wuhan-coronavirus-wet-markets-china/article/3049870

Wild animals sold at a Chinese wet market have been blamed for the coronavirus outbreak, but most venues sell farmed produce and are an indispensable part of daily life. Eliminating them would be tragic.

From what I have read and posted, thsees wet markets are not be blame solely but they are part of the pattern of spread of the virus. The markets are not clean. Often only water is used to keep the product clean and tissue and fluids often interact and mix. They just need to have a cleaner place to sell.

I notice articles that indicate the CCP is sterilizing (sanitizing really, since they can't kill all the bugs) using chlorine or peroxide solutions on the bat caves where Dr. Shi (earlier posting) worked identifying the various C viruses. That might help stop the spread of it to non-infected animals but those are that are already infected (i.e. thousands of bats) are still a threat.

Viruses usually have a half-life like drugs and eventually get down to numbers that are marginally threatening. Literally they run out of hosts. Let's hope that is soon. I am more concerned about the anti-racial theme this thing is taking. We have had some nasty looks lately that make me want to strap my Beretta.

• Like 1

You are exactly right Allon. We haven't had any nasty looks and nothing said to us. Everywhere the wife goes I go just in case and I have started to carrying Mr. 1911 you know just in case. There are some MS-13 guys that have taken up here for some reason. I guess the lack of law enforcement. This area has always been a very quiet part of the country so less need for law enforcement.

So while the coronavirus is getting all the attention, the flu goes unnoticed. The following report is a little dated. There were 442 deaths from the flu in Virginia:

https://patch.com/virginia/leesburg/flu-cases-spike-442-va-deaths-reported-2019-20-season

"Nationally, according to the CDC's influenza report for the week ending Jan. 18, the percentage of virus specimens testing positive for influenza increased from 23.3 percent for the week ending Jan. 11 to 25.6 percent this week. The CDC estimates that, so far this season, there have been at least 15 million illnesses, 140,000 hospitalizations and 6,600 deaths from the flu. For comparison, the CDC reported a total of 13 million illnesses, 120,000 hospitalizations and 6,600 deaths in its weekly report ending Jan. 11."

The article states:

"The Virginia Department of Health has received report of 442 pneumonia and influenza-associated deaths during the 2019-20 flu season."
i don't know why cdc does that: throws all pneumonia cases in with flu cases. When they say 60,000 deaths per year from influenza, they are including all pneumonia cases. The article also cites CDC as saying only 25% of tested "virus specimens" are actually influenza. I literally don't know anyone who died from the flu. Obviously people do and even a greater number die from non-specified pneumonia. But they want everybody to get a flu shot, so maybe they massage the numbers.
I dont kow what to believe.
  • Like 2

You are right, the problem starts with getting the flu, leads to pneumonia, and can end in death. A friend of mine, who was in his 50's and otherwise in good health, caught the flu. He transitioned to pneumonia and was dead within a week of catching the flu. There are deaths directly from the flu, mainly the very young and old, as well.

• Like 1

Weird thing is I've seen other stories of whole families dying because everyone had to quarantine at home and, when one got sick and they went to the hospital, they were sent back home because there were no beds.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/feb/18/coronavirus-kills-chinese-film-director-family-wuhan-covid-19

Chinese film director Chang Kai and family die from coronavirus

A Chinese film director, his sister, mother and father have all died from the coronavirus, the latest high-profile victims of the disease in Wuhan, the city at the centre of the outbreak.

Chang Kai, 55, died on 14 February. His parents died over the previous two weeks, after the family spent days together in self-quarantine, the Chinese magazine Caixin reported. Chang’s sister died hours after he did, and his wife is in a serious condition.

Death rates in Wuhan and surrounding Hubei provinces have been higher than in the rest of China and beyond. Many patients reported struggling to find a bed in hospitals filled far beyond capacity, even as the government built new hospitals and converted spaces like an exhibition centre into makeshift medical centres.

There are concerns that initial government advice for those with symptoms to stay at home may have exacerbated the toll from the disease, with close confinement leading to whole families being infected.

Chang had nursed his father at home after he fell sick in late January. He took the older man to several hospitals, but could not find a bed, Caixin reported. On 28 January he was the family’s first victim but others had already become infected.

The home quarantine policy could have caused clusters of cross-household and cross-community infections by allowing serious infections to progress without treatment, Caixin reported, quoting Chen Bo, a professor at the Huazhong University of Science and Technology in Wuhan.