I saw an article a few days ago about a 21 year old dual U.S./German passport holder who was offered a flight out (on the second?) for which the embassy said it would cost $1100 and he had to get himself to the airport which was 43 km from the city center. Only all mass transportation is shut down, so somebody else got his ticket.

Might be another side to that story.

from Inkstone -

Eight people were warned about "spreading rumors". They were all doctors who were exchanging information..
The doctor who identified SARS helped cut through the CCP bureaucracy
Doctors strike back: Coronavirus fallout may provoke revolution of the professionals

the doctor who identified SARS helped cut through the CCP bureaucracy

Doctors strike back: Coronavirus fallout may provoke revolution of the professionals

https://inks.tn/dr41

The ruling Communist Party, as it does with any potential alternative power center in the country, has inserted itself deep inside the professional bodies governing the legal and medical professions.

Similarly, China does not have non-governmental organizations, or NGOs. Like other authoritarian countries, it has GONGOs, or government-organized non-governmental organizations, which are structured to ensure political compliance.

But as much as they want to do their jobs free of political education and surveillance, they have been powerless to resist the presence of the party, especially in the era of President Xi Jinping.

Yet in the last week, the professions have been pushing back against the party-state’s strictures, demanding their expertise be respected rather than brushed aside in the name of stability.

Xi is the second coming of Mao. He doesn't mind a good purge now and then. Medical doctors are merely tolerated right now and will be punished when this has quieted down.

Seen or heard and lawyers representing citizens in citizen rights cases lately? They were disappeared while the whole world was watching. The court ruling served a purpose and will be forgotten soon enough. That opinion piece was wishful thinking.

In the meantime, let's hope this virus spread slows and China can get back to work.

• Like 2

Latest here in Yulin is that some people with fevers were at the grocery store on Jan 28, including a cashier, so now they want to find everyone who was there at the same time. Jiaying is glad she wasn't one, since these people may find themselves quarantined for a couple of weeks.

• Like 1

Since the Wuhan doctor died, the billion home-bound people looking at their phones have had their mini-Tianamen moment.

Chinese cinema has been pap and basically a platform for party-glorifying the last few years since Uncle Xi took control. Suddenly, people FELT real feeling and recognized a REAL hero. And, it happened at a time when the party was trying not to appear to be stifling conversation between people.

Finally, of course, they had to resort to censoring everything that didn't fit the crippled life view the party wants people to have.

I don't know that this genie can be put back in the bottle (bad metaphor?) - this yearning for free speech and rights of the individual. Finally, there was a real hero (not a droll party figure) and that hero looked like THEM.

That he died put the Hollywood finish on it. There were interesting comments and views getting out on wechat - you can go find them.. they've all been scrubbed by the party now. The party doesn't want people talking to EACH OTHER - it wants communication to be one way and one on one from the party to the citizen.

The party will win, just like the students and fellow reform seekers were crushed. But, maybe this is how this generation's character will be forged.

"He said kill it before it grow"

• Like 2

The wife just told me that from her Chinese sites they are saying that an American in China just died from the Coronavirus. She didn't say what city.

I think it was Wuhan.

Most of the geographic data isn't very useful, since it's almost always contracted in Wuhan and then traveled somewhere else.

• Like 1

from the SCMP

China’s military put to the crisis test in coronavirus call-up

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/military/article/3049672/chinas-military-put-crisis-test-coronavirus-call

The PLA has been sent in to staff hospitals and distribute medical supplies, reprising disaster relief roles it has played before

After decades of economic growth, civilian health system not able to meet demand, analyst says

The wife just told me that from her Chinese sites they are saying that an American in China just died from the Coronavirus. She didn't say what city.

I think it was Wuhan.

Most of the geographic data isn't very useful, since it's almost always contracted in Wuhan and then traveled somewhere else.

That is just what she told me.

• Like 1