The SOUL of AMERICA

eseum

I am almost half way through "The SOUL of AMERICA: The BATTLE For OUR BETTER ANGELS" by Jon Meachum. It is supposed to help us understand the present political climate by looking at other critical times in our history. Of course Meachum is considered to be a great historian/historical writer and is the winner of a Pulitzer Prize.

I have always considered myself a student of history, but I have found several things that I was unaware of in this book. One of those was the failed "Wall Street Putsch" where some Rich Wallstreeters tried to enact a plot to prevent FDR from becoming president. They actually tried to enlist a retired Marine major general to raise an army and march on Washington to take the capitol. Of all the different histories of that time period, that I have read, this was the first time I ran across it.

I was hoping that by reading this book I would feel a little better about current circumstances in the U.S. It's not helping. Just have to wait it out and hope "our better angels" win out soon.

It is an interesting read though for anyone looking for a good book to read.