Well, it's a go

We filed Jingjing's N-400 a couple of days ago. Hopefully everything goes smoothly. I was actually trying to talk Jingjing out of it, but her reasoning regarding travel to China with our kids (they are US citizens) would be better if all of us were on the same page. That said, her parents are getting up there in age, and I just wanted her to have the flexibility to come and go as she needs back to her mother country. On the flip side, once she gets citizenship, we can then sponsor her folks for a green card and have them live with us if they so choose. I see both sides of her decision. Anyway, my wallet is about 700.00 lighter and it looks like we're committed to the process. Jingjing's 10 year green card expires next year, so we figured we'd bite the bullet and go for the N-400.

It's been a while since I've posted anything. This community is fantastic, and I enjoy having something to share. I hope everyone here is well. Blessings!

Kyle and Jingjing

Good luck Kyle and Jingjing. I am sure it will be a breeze. If she speaks English with any fluency and studies the 100 questions. I talked to the interviewer with her permission and when I finished I said I am finished now you can start your line of questions to Liren and she said that I think that I have heard enough from you and it was the best story for citizenship that I have heard in my 4 years here. I have no other question for you or your wife. The wife was dumbfounded that she was not even spoken to much less ask any questions. I worked for the federal government for 30 years and know the language.

My wife will file the N400 the day she is eligible. At this point I don't really feel strongly about it (eg in case we want to go back and live in China when we retire) but she feels much "safer" with a US passport given that our daughter was born here and I am US citizen. Funny thing is years ago in our relationship I hoped she'd eventually naturalize, but she was dead set against it. Now after living in the US for several years she is adamant about getting citizenship and I don't really care either way. She may sponsor her sister as well but given the wait times of 10-15 years for Chinese siblings, who knows what will happen.

I believe there's also a new 5-year visa available for ethnic Chinese which is functionally a green card but haven't really looked into it: https://www.scmp.com/news/china/society/article/2131030/ethnic-chinese-and-want-live-china-find-out-if-you-qualify-new .

The only thing I worry about is my wife's (former) communist party membership, but given that it was a total non-issue during the I-485 process I'm hoping it won't be a problem down the road.

Edited by fluffyballs (see edit history)

My wife will file the N400 the day she is eligible. At this point I don't really feel strongly about it (eg in case we want to go back and live in China when we retire) but she feels much "safer" with a US passport given that our daughter was born here and I am US citizen. Funny thing is years ago in our relationship I hoped she'd eventually naturalize, but she was dead set against it. Now after living in the US for several years she is adamant about getting citizenship and I don't really care either way. She may sponsor her sister as well but given the wait times of 10-15 years for Chinese siblings, who knows what will happen.

I believe there's also a new 5-year visa available for ethnic Chinese which is functionally a green card but haven't really looked into it: https://www.scmp.com/news/china/society/article/2131030/ethnic-chinese-and-want-live-china-find-out-if-you-qualify-new .

The only thing I worry about is my wife's (former) communist party membership, but given that it was a total non-issue during the I-485 process I'm hoping it won't be a problem down the road.

It doesn't sound like they allow employment on these, so that makes them more like the 3 year (for those over 61) residence permits available through the PSB.

It doesn't sound like they allow employment on these, so that makes them more like the 3 year (for those over 61) residence permits available through the PSB.

Yes - it's simply a 5 year residence permit, apparently administered by the PSB. I guess she would need a Q1 or other overseas visa to get into China in order to apply for one. To work would require a new residence permit with "Employment" under "Purpose of Residence", but tied to a specific employer through the work permit.

How to Get a Five-Year Residency Permit If You’re Sort of Chinese-Ish.

Code-switching in the queue, between thrill and anxious pangs

Published onDec 3, 2018 11:00AM EDT

4.jpg?ssl=1

• Like 1

Thank you all for the questions and information provided. It is helpful to me. Just got word that Jingjing's biometrics are scheduled early next month. This is quicker than I expected. Previously, it was estimated that this process would be completed in December of this year, and now it looks like they are moving it up to November. I'm surprised by this, but I guess it does make sense if the local office (in Kansas City) is processing the claim as opposed to a more heavily populated immigrant culture such as San Francisco. Fingers crossed

We are approaching 10 year and she has language problems. With her age, learning the most complicated language to learn for a non-English speaking person is difficult. It's still baby talk.

So we are watching. Good luck.....

My wife's English isn't the greatest - she's very conversational and has no issues talking about work, travel, raising kids, etc. but if you ask her about more complicated topics like "corporate espionage" she won't know where to begin.

Before our AOS interview she basically spent two weeks cramming the I-485/I-130 forms, made flashcards for words she didn't know, had me constantly "practice" interview her, and so on. All while raising our 8 month old baby at the time. Turns out that was enough to fly though the interview without an interpreter without any issues.

Edited by fluffyballs (see edit history)

My wife did it 4 years after getting her residency, several reasons for her doing it.

1) She wanted to be able to petition for her mother to come and live out her remaining years with us.

2) She also filed a petition fir her sister and family allowing her sister the opportunity to immigrate and live with us if she do chooses when the petition eventually gets assigned a visa number.

3) My wife wanted to participate in our elections and voting.

• 1 month later...

Jingjing had her naturalization interview today. She passed. I think the swearing in ceremony will be sometime next month

Jingjing had her naturalization interview today. She passed. I think the swearing in ceremony will be sometime next month

Seems to be contagious - see toppy's posts - http://candleforlove.com/forums/topic/49903-suddenly-and-unexpectedly-the-pressure-is-on/?p=642790

Congratulations.

Your 'tinypic' seems to have tacked on a few inches there. They delete 'old' pictures - try https://imgsafe.org/

Yeah, Jingijng's interview was only 20 minutes long too. She said it was pretty painless.

• Like 2