Time for 10 year Green Card renewal

Hey everyone - haven't been on for a while and glad to see CFL is still here helping with the process. Lily's 10 year green card will expire Dec 2019 and I was just wondering if we get a renewal notice from USCIS or do we need to start the process now. I just read NUWORLD's post and I'm sure all your answers will help, but just wondering if it's time to take action or wait for USCIS?

Thanks,

Hank

Edited by hankster (see edit history)

Hey, there! Welcome back. Drop by more often.

Hang in there for a few more days until you're within the six months of the expiration of the current card.

From the I-90 instructions - "Item Number 2.f. My existing card has already expired or will expire within six months."

It's probably a good idea to set that in motion at that time.

I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card
  • Like 1

Take the "card expires" date, and feed it into a date calculator, e.g. https://www.timeanddate.com/date/dateadd.html, subtracting 180 days.

Depending on how anally retentive the person who processes the I-90 is, "six months" could mean as little as 180 days, or it could mean the full six calendar months.

I think I read somewhere that immigration "months" like this usually refers to 30 day months, without allowing for any intervening 31 day months.

Take the "card expires" date, and feed it into a date calculator, e.g. https://www.timeanddate.com/date/dateadd.html, subtracting 180 days.

Depending on how anally retentive the person who processes the I-90 is, "six months" could mean as little as 180 days, or it could mean the full six calendar months.

I think I read somewhere that immigration "months" like this usually refers to 30 day months, without allowing for any intervening 31 day months - for example, 180 day visas, instead of a full six months.

I got everything ready to go ahead of time for my wife's renewal and then sent it in on the first day in the six month window. Renewal went pretty fast, and she received her new card pretty fast.

Did you go by 6 calendar months, or 180 days?

I got everything ready to go ahead of time for my wife's renewal and then sent it in on the first day in the six month window. Renewal went pretty fast, and she received her new card pretty fast.

Did you go by 6 calendar months, or 180 days?

• 4 weeks later...

A little confused guys............from the I-90

Did you enter the United States with an immigrant visa?

Immigrant visas are processed and issued by the U.S. Consulate in a foreign country. If you received your Green Card by applying for permanent resident status after you entered the United States, then you did not enter with an immigrant visa.

Yes

No

I thought GUZ issued the immigrant Visa and we sent the I-485 to Chicago after Lily got here.

A little confused guys............from the I-90

Did you enter the United States with an immigrant visa?

Immigrant visas are processed and issued by the U.S. Consulate in a foreign country. If you received your Green Card by applying for permanent resident status after you entered the United States, then you did not enter with an immigrant visa.

Yes

No

I thought GUZ issued the immigrant Visa and we sent the I-485 to Chicago after Lily got here.

LOL - I think the USCIS is just tripping all over their own words here.

These are the entries in your timeline that are applicable here -

03-07-07 - Entered USA at Chicago POE

AOS Timeline

07-20-07 - Mailed (2) I-485's for AOS to Chicago PO Box

She ENTERED on what is technically a non-immigrant visa - the K-2, even though it was handled by the Immigrant Visa department at Guangzhou. This simply means that no green card was issued until it was applied for by submitting the I-485. It is handled by the IV Department, since it has Immigrant Intent.

The key here is this - If you received your Green Card by applying for permanent resident status after you entered the United States, then you did not enter with an immigrant visa.

She applied for permanent resident status by submitting the I-485 AFTER she entered the United States.

Ignore EVERYTHING else.

Don't look behind the curtain. Again - LOL.

The word "immigrate" in USCIS-speak simply means to apply for AND RECEIVE a green card.

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...

We've been waiting to receive Lily's new Greencard which expires in December. She had gone to biometrics by herself back in July and I was getting a little concerned.

What I didn't know was they had put this sticker on the back of her current GC at the biometrics appointment in July.

Wonder why they do this (extending expiration by approximately 7 months) instead of mailing a new one? Is USCIS running behind in their processing?

gallery_2526_736_524389.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

My wife also did her biometrics back in July.

They gave her a one year exstention.

It’s been a little over 6 months now and still no GC.

I been checking the case status updates online.

No updates for 6 months.

Hong has a friend in Maryland and it took over 8 months to receive her new GC.

• Like 1