Living in China

hi there,

My wife went off the rails and I may soon be living in China.

My first question is about mail delivery.

If I buy some movies off Amazon- for example- will they show up unmolested at my address?

Second question:

My debit card lets me get 20000 RMB/day out of an ATM. Is this the best way to convert currency? Is there any legal downside?

More questions to follow I'm sure.

thanks,

ifearyeti

Edited by ifearyeti (see edit history)

hi there,

My wife went off the rails and I may soon be living in China.

My first question is about mail delivery.

If I buy some movies off Amazon- for example- will they show up unmolested at my address?

Second question:

My debit card lets me get 20000 RMB/day out of an ATM. Is this the best way to convert currency? Is there any legal downside?

More questions to follow I'm sure.

thanks,

ifearyeti

Anything I've ordered from Amazon was sent to my mail forwarding service in New York (now Delaware). Any mail sent to China should have the complete address in Chinese characters. It will take about 1 week for express (EMS, DHL, UPS, or FedEx - whichever delivers to where you are. EMS delivers to any address in China, the others do not). Three weeks by regular mail, or 3 MONTHS to not all if only the Pinyin address is on the package.

Check your conversion rate, and any fees. You may want to wire $10,000 or more, instead of going through "an ATM". A 3000 RMB limit per day is more typical.

I used to withdraw cash from a CCB ATM in China from my BofA account in the states back when they had a 'no fee' agreement. I got the most favorable rate of exchange this way, until BofA started charging 3% foreign currency fees. 12,000 RMB a month took 4 trips to the ATM over 4 days.

• 9 months later...

I'm sending money to my wife through a Bank of China account. She gets it out with a unionpay card. Is there any danger in accumulating 50K yuan in a chinese bank account. 250K? 1 million yuan? Is there any possibility of the money being wiped and then we have no recourse?

I was in China in November. They were playing a looped tape of music over the loudspeaker at the grocery store. It was some chines music and some USA music. There was one new age song that was sung in a germanic sounding language. It was a woman singing with a guitar and maybe a flute accompaniment. Anyone know what that song is? I know it's a longshot. Thanks for the replies.

I told my wife that we should look for a house in Wuhan. They should be pretty cheap. She didn't thank that it was funny.

I'm sending money to my wife through a Bank of China account. She gets it out with a unionpay card. Is there any danger in accumulating 50K yuan in a chinese bank account. 250K? 1 million yuan? Is there any possibility of the money being wiped and then we have no recourse?

I was in China in November. They were playing a looped tape of music over the loudspeaker at the grocery store. It was some chines music and some USA music. There was one new age song that was sung in a germanic sounding language. It was a woman singing with a guitar and maybe a flute accompaniment. Anyone know what that song is? I know it's a longshot. Thanks for the replies.

I told my wife that we should look for a house in Wuhan. They should be pretty cheap. She didn't thank that it was funny.

It's not clear why you would worry about money in a Chinese bank being wiped out, but there's always a possibility, I suppose. Don't worry about it.

We keep our money in the US, while transferring around $10,000USD at a time. You are limited only by the amount you convert annually, per person, to RMB - $50,000USD.

My mother in-law has my wife take the money out of the bank the day it posts. They hide it somewhere in the house.

Maybe it's Enya. Do they play Enya in chinese supermarkets?

Sounds like you have your work cut out for you on both fronts.

RT Mart is more likely to play the Happy Birthday song, unless it's Dec., when they play Christmas music.

Eithne Pádraigín Ní Bhraonáin, known professionally as Enya, is an Irish singer, songwriter, record producer and musician. Wikipedia

Born: May 17, 1961 (age 58 years), Gweedore, Ireland

Full name: Eithne Pádraigín Ní Bhraonáin

Genre: New-age music

Movies: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, Reisei to jônetsu no aida, Far and Away, The Frog Prince, More

Enya was a popular singer in the 80's

• 4 weeks later...

Is the $50,000/year limit scheduled annualy?

If I send $50,000 in December can I send another $50,000 again in January? Or do I have to wait 12 months?

I'm assuming that if we want to by a house or apartment in China all of the money has to be there in yuan.

Yes, but you can send all the dollars you want. Then it depends on how many people/trusted relatives you can line up to convert the money.

You are limited only by the amount you convert annually, per person, to RMB - $50,000USD

Good luck yeti. In early 08' I bought a nice crib for my then, girlfriend, in Fushun. I sent $50,000 each year from 2007 up through 2018. Unfortunately my way of sending money (W/U) is no longer an option, and the child bride had me stop sending any mo' money to China in 2019.

Randy is yer man for this. My feeble attempts were old school backwoods unsophisticated thinking at best. :happydance:

Funny thing....now my wife is gettin' all that money I sent over....wired back to her....here in the states. :rotfl: Without gettin' into specifics behind her reasons, something is bothering her a heckuva lot about her beloved homeland and all of a sudden, she is lookin' to pull everything out of bank accounts in Chinartucky, and even sell our nice home and her other properties over yonder. She's even talkin' 'bout takin' the test for citizenship (I'm really surprised at that). :V:

I scratch my butt, pick my nose a lil', take a few hits :smoker: of mother nature's finest, and jest laugh at the action these days...for other than this f'in' virus shit Imma havin' the time of my entire life ...looks like you are too. :guitar:

• Like 1