Q2 visa vs. Residence Permit? Which one is better?

Hello Everyone,

Currently I have a 10 yrs Q2 visa. I’ve just found out from some previous posts on this site that

1. "The Q1 visa allows you to enter the country, and apply for a residence permit, which will allow you to live indefinitely in China (subject to renewal)." And

2. "When my wife called them last week, they said that it didn't matter which visa I was on for the family Res Permit, just as long as we were married. They told her that they would de-register my Q2 visa and I would now use the Residence Permit to exit and enter."

It seems that, if I understand everything correctly, I can kind of exchange my Q2 visa with a “Residence Permit” then keep renewing it to avoid any visa in the future indefinitely. What are pros and cons of each?

Do I miss anything here?

Please help me.

Thanks

The Residence Permit will allow you to stay in China indefinitely. The Residence Permit will be your visa.

To "renew", you will buy a new one every one, two, or three (I'm over 61) years. This may be done without leaving the country.

The Q2 is good for six month stays, with a possible extension from the PSB, for 10 years. You must leave the country before your length of stay expires.

• Like 1

Thank you Randy. Does Residence Permit require minimum time staying inside China? (something US Green card holder have to do?)

If you stay in China less than six months per year, the Q2 would be the obvious choice. It's not clear why you would want a Residence Permit for visits.