Ha! Just saw this thread. Sorry I didn't see it sooner. Randy got everything right, though.

Seems the travel/visa agencies slowned you down and sifting through internet wisdom might have clouded the matter.

Born abroad to one, unsettled parent triggers a de facto Chinese citizenship that makes a visa impossible and a 2 year travel document mandatory.

All parties (both parents and child) appearing in China is required to renounce citizenship as Randy stated. If you can't all make it there within two years, you would obtain another travel card when needed. Not always necessary to go to the consulate as they also go "mobile": they travel occasionally around your region and save you the expense of traveling to and staying in their consulate city.

Not sure why you had such a hard time with this: it's all there on their web page and you can call any time during working hours (excluding lunch) to have things explained. We just did this in March/April and expect to renew a passport when their road show comes to Denver next year.

Only thing I can add to this is to remember that U.S. Citizen, U.S. passport-bearing children in China on a travel card are not granted U.S. Embassy representation should they wind up in some sticky legal situation. Why? Because.

. . .

Only thing I can add to this is to remember that U.S. Citizen, U.S. passport-bearing children in China on a travel card are not granted U.S. Embassy representation should they wind up in some sticky legal situation. Why? Because.

Because they didn't (CAN'T) enter on their American passport - a pretty big 'gotcha' there.