Thank You Veterans

chilton747

There was a time not so long ago when most American men were military vets. Today most of us are aging out. At 69 I'm one of the few vets left at the company where I work. :)

Glad I served. Glad it wasn't combat, but combat support. USN Westpac 1967-1969 USS Ranger CVA61, SK3

Here's an interesting program comining up on PBS.

Episode 1 Preview | Saved in Vietnam

Aired: 11/13/2018 | 0:00:30 | Promotion
Join Ann Curry as two Vietnam veterans search for the heroes who saved them. An Army officer searches for the helicopter pilot who rescued him, while another soldier wants to reconnect with the surgeon who saved his leg from amputation.

https://www.pbssocal.org/programs/well-meet-again/episode-1-preview-saved-vietnam-dttyam/?pagename=noPageName&utm_source=2018-11-12&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=dedicated&utm_content=well%20meet%20again

Edited by Dennis143 (see edit history)

Thank you for your service and the amazing job you have done and continue to do. We wouldn't be here without you!!

cuzin' Half Moon, I wuz jest a skeert white punk on dope during that thar war.

I hope this link works....this is a documentary by our local PBS station in State College. I'm the bald guy in the flowered shirt that is talkin' to Lindsey. Also, you'll see my ZigZag man decal on my flight helmet, and one of my Harley Davidson t-shirts

http://atimetoheal.wpsu.org/documentary/

Good, the link works

Edited by tsap seui (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Thank you for your service and the amazing job you have done and continue to do. We wouldn't be here without you!!

cuzin' Half Moon, I wuz jest a skeert white punk on dope during that thar war.

I hope this link works....this is a documentary by our local PBS station in State College. I'm the bald guy in the flowered shirt that is talkin' to Lindsey. Also, you'll see my ZigZag man decal on my flight helmet, and one of my Harley Davidson t-shirts

http://atimetoheal.wpsu.org/documentary/

Good, the link works

Cuzin BR I've been waiting to see this. Thank you so much👍👍👍

• Like 1

Tsap...good stuff there! Thanks for this, you good-lookin' fella, you!

You know, I was in Sam's club last Sunday, and there was a fella there who was cleaning the bathrooms. I saw he was wearing a CVN-65 hat (the old USS Enterprise). He was an older squid than me, and had been on the Enterprise back in '66 in the Gulf of Tonkin. I reached out and said "From one old squid to another, thanks for your service, man!". The guy broke out in a huge smile and gripped my hand hard, and said "Back atcha shipmate!" We chatted for a while, and laughed for a while longer about shipboard life, as we discovered it hadn't changed from the 60's to the 70's when I was in. What got me most about this fella was his grin. Like most of us, he had good times and bad times in the service, but what he related the most were things that had left him with good memories, and good friends. And my grin was right back at him.

Later that day, I pondered a bit about that. I also made some good life-long friends in the Navy, and found that bond is different than with any other friends I have. I reckon that is as it should be. When you eat, sleep, work and fight with guys for a number of years, you can't help but be part of their lives, even when you go your separate ways.

So my thanks go out to all who served too. But I'm most thankful for the folks who I met and served with who were and are, full of integrity, compassion, gumption, hard work, and just plain balls.

I know my comments are a bit late, but my health has been really troublesome of late. Don't want to bore you with all that. My salute to all who served, whether in combat, support, or cold war. Anyone that puts on that uniform is making a sacrifice. God bless all of you - and thanks for the clip cuzin' tsapper; brought back more than a few memories. I especially recall some of the memories we shared that October (hard to believe it has been four or five years ago already). I could still feel the intensity of your feelings when you were greeted by your girlfriend at the time - the weight you had lost and the ghostly look in your eyes. I know that look. I had it too. Your words about the screams in the back of the chopper were all too real for me. Ronny, there are times I still wake up at night hearing those cries. They never go away - never. Again, thanks to all who served, in all capacities.

Edited by Mick (see edit history)
  • Like 2