The tariff war seems to be on. I sent six bottles of glucosamine / chondroitin and a small package of chocolate to China by USPS Priority International on July 2nd. Tracking shows that it's been in an unknown city somewhere in China.

July 11, 2018, 1:53 pm
Processed Through Facility
CHINA
Your item was processed through a facility in CHINA on July 11, 2018 at 1:53 pm. The item is currently in transit to the destination.

My sister-in-law found that it is in customs and they want 180 yuan to release it. This has never occurred before in nearly 15 years so I'm guessing it's tit for tat.

We sent about $300 of ginseng and vitamins a year ago and had no trouble - even going through the small town post office (good opportunity for a handling fee).

She could try arguing with them (WHAT?!?) because it sounds like more of a 50% tariff - and it's not soybeans.

Randy, the wife wants to know if you can still use your Bank Of America debit card in ATM machines and at "what Chinese bank" still. Also, can you still transfer money from your bank in the US to China? Seems like you were talking about some changes along this lines some time ago.

Thanks, Larry

Randy, the wife wants to know if you can still use your Bank Of America debit card in ATM machines and at "what Chinese bank" still. Also, can you still transfer money from your bank in the US to China? Seems like you were talking about some changes along this lines some time ago.

Thanks, Larry

Yes, but the BofA now charges a 3% "foreign transaction fee" at the CCB, so I haven't tried in years. I do still send wire transfers to myself. It's VERY convenient with the BofA SafePass card, or if you can receive SMS messages on a US-carrier cell phone. Fee is $45 (RMB -> RMB), with their wire dept adding an additional $10 as it passes through their department ($55 total fee) - but MUCH easier than the "free" transfers I used to get from TDAmeritrade.

The BofA gave us some flak because they claimed my wife never called them to verify that she lived with me, even closing the account temporarily, but everything seems okay now. International monetary transactions are jittery these days, so I'll stick with them.

• Like 1

The tariff war seems to be on. I sent six bottles of glucosamine / chondroitin and a small package of chocolate to China by USPS Priority International on July 2nd. Tracking shows that it's been in an unknown city somewhere in China.

July 11, 2018, 1:53 pm

Processed Through Facility

CHINA

Your item was processed through a facility in CHINA on July 11, 2018 at 1:53 pm. The item is currently in transit to the destination.

My sister-in-law found that it is in customs and they want 180 yuan to release it. This has never occurred before in nearly 15 years so I'm guessing it's tit for tat.

I just learned the sister-in-law questioned China Post / Customs on this charge. It was explained that it is a random check such as luggage at the airport. This was one of the unlucky packages that happened to get caught. Funny this happened shortly after the Trump - China Tariffs took place.