Should I have taken the Dog?

Ok been 2nd guessing myself on a incident I had occur here in China a few hours ago. I was walking by the park near our hotel when I see this little 3 wheel super mini car/scooter go by me with this guy in it.

The guy has a little dog doing it's best to keep up running next to him. They are going not much faster then walking speed but it's a very hot day 98f and at least 65% humidity and this little dog can not keep up. I would say the dog is a Shitzu type small with little legs.

I kinda see it happen the 1st time I see the guy stop the bike and lift up on the leash suspending the dog by the next for a second or two then he put it down. I kinda think wtf but it happen so fast I think maybe he pulled the dog out of traffic.

Well he starts out again drives maybe 25 feet and the dog trips and falls so he stops and dose it again. This time I know what's going on so I just move.

I walk up to the guy lift up the dog, push him back into the seat of his scooter and stand accross the front wheel/handle bars so he can't leave. I proceed to hit him with all the Chinese swear words I know and gave him a free English lesson on some I bet he didn't. I grabbed the belt and motioned to his throat and made it clear that if I saw him choking the dog I was goning to make his dentist very happy.

I yelled at him for a few minutes and a croud of people stopped to watch so I figured I'd better be going.

I regret not taking the dog from the guy and paying him something for it. I worry he beat the dog after he left.

He kept saying sorry and looked scared and remorseful at the same time as he left with the dog on his lap.

Think I should have grabbed the dog I could have made arrangements to take it back with me. Or would I have gotten arrested for taking it.

Robert

Only since YOU ASKED:

No, and you should not have gotten involved that way. Because you were trying to change a whole culture. (Resistance is futile)

If your Chinese was better you might have been diplomatic and said "I can see you are not very happy with that dog. I've been looking for a dog just like that ... may I buy it from you?" And then briefly feel better while you figure out what to do with a dog.

This doesn't mean you're not a hero for doing what you did.

• Like 1

Unfortunately, they are right Robert. I am PROUD of you but you are in their country. The majority of them have no sympathy for anything or anyone for that matter there are exceptions to every case of course. My wife is included in that saying too. Her mother has even told her so. It is the only thing that I do not like about her. She has no sympathy or empathy for anyone or anything.

I once got into an argument like that with a taxi driver over a fare to the airport and had the usual village crowd gathered around me and the cab driver just waiting for me to make a mistake. Fortunately, the doorman from the hotel that I was staying at came out and scattered them and I went back in where it was safe. If I had said or done the wrong thing I am sure they would have beaten the crap out of me.

My wife is a Huge animal lover she brought a cat with her when she moved to Arizona. So she was ok with me stopping the guy the way I did, hell if she would have seen it happen the guy may have been worse off.

Wife also made a good point, since the guy never put up one shred of resistance in a way to fight back or copped a attitude he may not be a bad guy after all maybe he was just frustrated and having a bad day. Still dose not justify his actions but it could explain a little.

As I said when he left he drove off slowly getting the dog repeatedly saying sorry more to the dog then me and at the end I had softened my tone and was saying treat the dog kindly, pointing at the sun and saying hot and the dog saying water.

Bah it's all the Dragon Ladies fault lol.

Since her arrival I now am the proud caretaker of 9.... Yes 9 cats and 2 dogs 1 bird (Could do with out the bird he is a idiot)Dogs I had when she arrived but all the cats came after. I seem to collect strays that move in once they find our house. So it's impossible for me to just sit back and watch it happen. I know I would not have resorted to hitting the guy unless I felt he was about to kill the dog. Still with I kept the dog it was a cutie barely weighted a thing.