Potential Job taking me overseas again, temporarily

Hello again everyone. Hope all is well.

I have had job interviews with a rather large international (US based) corporation, and they want to potentially send me back overseas for a period of 9-18 months. What does this mean for my wife who has had her greencard for only 1 year? I know they have the re-entry permit that you can apply for but what is the process and how would this time overseas affect us when getting down to applying for AOS?

Thanks,

Nathan&Min

Hello again everyone. Hope all is well.

I have had job interviews with a rather large international (US based) corporation, and they want to potentially send me back overseas for a period of 9-18 months. What does this mean for my wife who has had her greencard for only 1 year? I know they have the re-entry permit that you can apply for but what is the process and how would this time overseas affect us when getting down to applying for AOS?

Thanks,

Nathan&Min

She will need to return to the U.S. at some point in order to process her Adjustment of Status.

Otherwise, you would need to file a new I-130 for a NEW green card when you are ready to return.

The window to file the I-751 is only three months prior to the expiration of her green card, but I believe you can do that while overseas and that she would only need to return for the biometrics, and a possible interview (if required).

It MAY be possible to get the biometrics done at the American consulate.

For the re-entry permit, file an I-131 BEFORE she leaves the country.

Similar topic, http://candleforlove.com/forums/topic/45297-conditional-green-card-holder-not-living-in-the-usa-i-751/

In this case they gave up the green card, and applied for a visitors visa for use to visit the states while living abroad and will eventually reapply for a spouse visa when they are ready to move to the states to live permanently, at which time there would not be the need to go through the trouble of filing the I-751 they would be married longer than 2 years when getting the 2nd spouse visa.

Removal of conditions while living abroad is not an easy option, biometrics for the I-751 need to be handled at an ASC in the states near your home, as well as any potential interview.

You're a big boy and you can go where you want, BUT........... my advice is slow down a minute and think this decision through. New marriages are an adjustment period.

As a newlywed, why would you leave your lovely wife (who left her family, friends, country and possibly career/job to be with you) alone for such a large period of time? She is still adjusting to life here in the USA and likely could use your help and support here more than a few more dollars.

Why not find a job here in the USA where you both could be together? "Fistful of Dollars" and "For a Few Dollars More" work as Clint Eastwood movie titles. Not so well in real life, IMHO.

Best of luck in whatever you decide.

• Like 2