LAX Customs - Automated Passport Control

eseum

So we came back from China last week through Los Angeles. We had to wait for 16 hours to get our connecting flight. Any way, we get down to the re-entry point and it has completely changed from what it used to be. You now have to go to automated check-in stations. The machines read your passport/greencard, ask customs declaration questions and then spit out a picture with your information on it. I had to ask how to use the machine, because, you know, there were no instructions that were obvious. Or maybe I missed them, after the long flight it was pretty frustrating.

Now, of course this was supposedly done to make the process faster. However, after completing the task with the machine, you then go on to be interviewed by a customs and enforcement agent. They still ask the standard questions about your trip (purpose, etc.). They collect the information processed by the machine before you exit. They did not take the paper customs form and did not even ask the total dollar value of what we brought back. So I did not see where there was any benefit to the new setup.

Makes me want to stop traveling at times.

• Like 2

So we came back from China last week through Los Angeles. We had to wait for 16 hours to get our connecting flight. Any way, we get down to the re-entry point and it has completely changed from what it used to be. You now have to go to automated check-in stations. The machines read your passport/greencard, ask customs declaration questions and then spit out a picture with your information on it. I had to ask how to use the machine, because, you know, there were no instructions that were obvious. Or maybe I missed them, after the long flight it was pretty frustrating.

Now, of course this was supposedly done to make the process faster. However, after completing the task with the machine, you then go on to be interviewed by a customs and enforcement agent. They still ask the standard questions about your trip (purpose, etc.). They collect the information processed by the machine before you exit. They did not take the paper customs form and did not even ask the total dollar value of what we brought back. So I did not see where there was any benefit to the new setup.

Makes me want to stop traveling at times.

I just got back from my third trip to China a month ago. We went through New York JFK airport. Same machines you describe I do not remember before. Much harder for my wife. I think I used my passport and it printed a ticket out. I had to find someone to help my wife and she had to put her green card a specific way to get it to work. Her instructions were in Chinese so I had no clue. A lot of people had trouble and of course this made us get in longer lines and we were at the end. My best trip to China so far and after 3 weeks coffee and a hamburger sounded really good. Starbucks coffee was about 4 bucks a small cup. She wants to move there but I never could pinpoint anyone who could tell me what a house cost. Her sister lives in downtown Guangzhou and I think her tiny "house" on the sixth floor was in the range of $300k.

Yep, must be the same machines.

This was my second trip to Chongqing this year, with the first one in February for the New Year. My wife would like to find a place there at some point since her family is there. Personally I find Chongqing to be a depressing place to be in.

Her friend has a very nice place on the outer part of the city. If I was to live anywhere in the city, I might be able to tolerate it there. The place is up against a park so it has some insulation from all the noise and traffic. It also has a small yard attached. According to her friend the apartment shell cost $200000. So it would be pretty pricey once you did the interior as you wanted it.

Yep, must be the same machines.

This was my second trip to Chongqing this year, with the first one in February for the New Year. My wife would like to find a place there at some point since her family is there. Personally I find Chongqing to be a depressing place to be in.

Her friend has a very nice place on the outer part of the city. If I was to live anywhere in the city, I might be able to tolerate it there. The place is up against a park so it has some insulation from all the noise and traffic. It also has a small yard attached. According to her friend the apartment shell cost $200000. So it would be pretty pricey once you did the interior as you wanted it.

When my wife and I came back from Italy, they had the same machines at Washington Dulles. I 'passed' but my wife had to go to secondary inspection. I asked the officer if it was due to my wife's green card, he insisted it was random but I don't completely buy it. I also agree the machines were not super easy to use. I can can see where for 'most' people it might be better but it appears the technology needs to be improved.

Automated Passport Control (APC)

WHAT IS AUTOMATED PASSPORT CONTROL?

Automated Passport Control (APC) is a U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) program that expedites the entry process for U.S., Canadian and eligible Visa Waiver Program international travelers by providing an automated process through CBP’s Primary Inspection area. Travelers use self-service kiosks to respond to CBP inspection related questions and submit biographic information. APC is a free service, does not require pre-registration or membership, and maintains the highest levels of protection when it comes to the handling of personal data or information. Travelers using APC experience shorter wait times, less congestion, and faster processing.

HOW DOES APC WORK?

Instead of filling out a paper Customs declaration form, eligible passengers can proceed directly to the APC kiosks in the passport control area. Travelers are prompted to scan their passport, take a photograph using the kiosk, and answer a series of CBP inspection related questions verifying biographic and flight information. Once passengers have completed the series of questions, a receipt will be issued. Travelers then bring their passport and receipt to a CBP Officer to finalize their inspection for entry into the United States. The kiosks allow people residing at the same address to be processed together.

It's "available" at a LONG list of airports, including some overseas (see the link above)

I think ALL airports that have flights from China are on it.

Do travelers still have to fill out a Customs declaration form?

No, travelers will submit their Customs declaration form electronically via the kiosks. If a traveler has already filled out a Customs declaration form, it can be given to a CBP Officer for shredding.

So, it's unclear if it's required or optional at the new installations.

“Since its opening in January last year, US preclearance has been extremely popular with passengers flying from Abu Dhabi to the United States where they arrive as domestic passengers,” says Richard Hill, Etihad Airways’ COO. “The process has been greatly enhanced by the introduction of automated passport control kiosks which allow passengers to pass through border controls quickly and seamlessly, significantly improving their travel experience.”

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

. . . and this, if you want to skip the wait for the machines entirely - just download an app (but only usable at U.S. airports)

Mobile Passport Control

WHAT IS MOBILE PASSPORT CONTROL?

Mobile Passport Control (MPC) allows U.S. citizens and Canadian visitors to use the Mobile Passport app to expedite their entry process into the United States. It is the first app authorized by U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) for eligible travelers with a smartphone or tablet to submit their passport information and answer CBP inspection-related questions prior to CBP inspection. Much like Automated Passport Control (APC), the app does not require pre-approval and is free to use. The app streamlines the traveler inspection process and enables CBP officers to focus more on the inspection and less on administrative functions.

HOW DOES MPC WORK?

Eligible travelers can download the Mobile Passport app from the Google Play Store and Apple App Store.

Travelers will be prompted to create a profile via the app with their passport information. The profile includes the traveler’s name, gender, date of birth, and country of citizenship. Upon landing in the United States, travelers will complete the “New Trip” section by selecting their arrival airport and airline, taking a self-photo, and answering a series of CBP inspection-related questions. Once the traveler submits their transaction through the app, the traveler will receive an electronic receipt with an Encrypted Quick Response (QR) code. Travelers then bring their passport and mobile device with their digital bar-coded receipt to a CBP officer to finalize their inspection for entry into the United States.

. . .

Are Lawful Permanent Residents able to use Mobile Passport Control?

Not at this time, but CBP will announce expanded eligibility in the future.

Can families use Mobile Passport Control?

Yes, up to 12 additional profiles can be created for family members. The app allows for a single household to submit one MPC transaction, including answers to CBP inspection-related questions.

In February, we flew a direct flight from Las Vegas to Beijing and connected onto Chongqing. Came back the same way and no machines were installed in Las Vegas at that time. I am sure it will be coming though. I tried to get them to take the paper form from me twice. Once while we were being interviewed at the counter and once as we were going out of the check area. Ended up shredding it myself at home.

I try to stay away from mobile apps as much as possible. I have been in the situation of slow uploading of information to my phone too many times to trust that it is actually going to show up on the phone. My all time wait was 20 minutes trying to get a ticket to load for a show. I can see trying to get this to come up while at Customs, and them deciding to do a cavity search during the wait. :sleeping:

In February, we flew a direct flight from Las Vegas to Beijing and connected onto Chongqing. Came back the same way and no machines were installed in Las Vegas at that time. I am sure it will be coming though. I tried to get them to take the paper form from me twice. Once while we were being interviewed at the counter and once as we were going out of the check area. Ended up shredding it myself at home.

I try to stay away from mobile apps as much as possible. I have been in the situation of slow uploading of information to my phone too many times to trust that it is actually going to show up on the phone. My all time wait was 20 minutes trying to get a ticket to load for a show. I can see trying to get this to come up while at Customs, and them deciding to do a cavity search during the wait. :sleeping:

Las Vegas McCarran International Airport (LAS) is on the list, so I'm sure next time you go that way . . .

I don't think they care about the receipt, as long as they have your information on the computer screen in front of them. But they ARE supposed to shred it for you ifyou ask them to.

Check out electronic payments in China - they go through in seconds!