Medical Insurance for immigrating relatives

My adult stepdaughter will be getting her green in the next few months (God willing!). She will arrive in USA without a job and will be too old to be covered as a dependent on my work health insurance.

i am sure many people have faces the same situation with parents, brothers and sisters in law, adult children. Until she can find a job with insurance benefits I will need to arrange medical insurance.

How are you assuring medical insurance coverage?

> Do you do this through Obama-care? My reading is the immigrant may be eligible for an income subsidy.

> Who do you contact? I have no experience with Obama-car.?

Any good personal insurance packages you have found?

> Or any to be avoided because you have had claims problems?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

True Blue

Many states have health care plans for low income people, for example Healthy NY and Covered California. Also check healthcare.gov for rates.

My friend in Californa grossed around $10,400 income last year she qualified for the free plan out there.

You know the “individual mandate” is no more - meaning paying the alternative tax will not be required either.

Having said that, insurance will look different from state to state. Her “life event” - that allows her to jump in to the marketplace outside of open enrollment period - is getting her green card, though she may only have 90 days to act on that - maybe less.

You know the “individual mandate” is no more - meaning paying the alternative tax will not be required either.

Having said that, insurance will look different from state to state. Her “life event” - that allows her to jump in to the marketplace outside of open enrollment period - is getting her green card, though she may only have 90 days to act on that - maybe less.

The "repeal" goes into effect in 2019 - http://fortune.com/2017/12/20/tax-bill-individual-mandate-obamacare/

For starters: Contrary to a statement that President Trump made Wednesday, nixing Obamacare’s individual mandate does not mean that Obamacare has been repealed in the GOP tax bill. The individual mandate, which requires most Americans (other than those who qualify for a hardship exemption) to carry a minimum level of health coverage, is actually still in effect for 2018

Thanks everyone, then since it is required by law then it's Obama care here we come (at least until she can get a job with medical insurance).

I have no doubt she will be able to find a job within a few months of coming here. But finding a job with benefits is another story. It seems like Florida is the land of the 29 1/2 hour per week part time without benefits low wage worker. Our wages are so low that we are now starting to take jobs back from Mexico, India and China. Paid in SUNSHINE is what they like to say around here. Good jobs are scarce and low wage jobs are plentiful though there are some exceptions - the toll takers have lost their jobs to camera robotics.

Thanks all,

True Bluel