Applying for a China Residence Permit

Randy W

"Hi. I have been working in China since 2006 and recently married a Chinese national. Her hometown is Shangluo, Shaanxi. I will in all probability stop working in Jan 2019. We went to the Shangluo PSB to ask about getting a residence permit. The officer there told me only a 6 month visa is possible, any other time limit is impossible (her words). My questions are:

1. Does that sound like a reasonable answer considering I hear about others getting 1 to 3 year permits?

2. Do I have to get the permit in Shangluo or can I go to another city where it might be possible to get a longer visa.

I would be elated to get a 2 or 3 year permit.

Any response and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Jim."

Just an update: we got a marriage visa here in Shangluo PSB for 1 year (rather than 6 months) because I had just had a physical exam. The first officer we encountered was not the friendliest and she was adamant we could only get 6 months. The next time we went the officer was very friendly and explained how we could get the 1 year visa, which we did. We plan to live in Kunming so will have to return to Shangluo in Nov. to get it renewed, possibly for two years.

Thanks for your input Randy. Very happy.

Edited by Randy W
fix quote block (see edit history)

On 1/15/2019 at 2:48 PM, Jim D said:

On 8/21/2018 at 3:37 PM, Jim D said:

"Hi. I have been working in China since 2006 and recently married a Chinese national. Her hometown is Shangluo, Shaanxi. I will in all probability stop working in Jan 2019. We went to the Shangluo PSB to ask about getting a residence permit. The officer there told me only a 6 month visa is possible, any other time limit is impossible (her words). My questions are:

1. Does that sound like a reasonable answer considering I hear about others getting 1 to 3 year permits?

2. Do I have to get the permit in Shangluo or can I go to another city where it might be possible to get a longer visa.

I would be elated to get a 2 or 3 year permit.

Any response and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Jim."

Just an update: we got a marriage visa here in Shangluo PSB for 1 year (rather than 6 months) because I had just had a physical exam. The first officer we encountered was not the friendliest and she was adamant we could only get 6 months. The next time we went the officer was very friendly and explained how we could get the 1 year visa, which we did. We plan to live in Kunming so will have to return to Shangluo in Nov. to get it renewed, possibly for two years.

Thanks for your input Randy. Very happy.

The 6 month thing is apparently a temporary permit when a requirement isn't fulfilled - one of the requirements IS the physical exam, which must be done at a China Inspection and Quarantine Hospital. If you didn't go to one for your exam, they may require it again next year, otherwise, it's only needed every 2 or 3 years.

Also you should be able to get the 2 or 3 year permit (next time), especially if you are over 62.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

• 1 year later...

from the Sixthtone

Proposed Residency Changes Spark Racist Backlash in China

By Kenrick Davis
Mar 5, 2020

Opponents of a new draft regulation say relaxing permanent residency requirements could lead to an influx of “low-quality” immigrants and jeopardize the county’s racial purity.

Last week, China’s Ministry of Justice proposed new rules that would broaden the criteria for foreigners to obtain permanent residency, with feedback to be submitted through an official website by the end of March.

. . . Under the new draft regulation, professionals in certain fields would be eligible for permanent residency immediately, irrespective of whether they’ve been living in China for an extended period of time.

. . .

The new regulations also stipulate that graduates from top foreign universities who work in China, academics doing research in key strategic areas, and people with internationally recognized achievements in sports, economics, science, technology, culture, health, or education would all be eligible for permanent residency. Foreign permanent residents would also have easier access to buying property, investing in the domestic market, and trading in foreign currencies using their government-issued ID cards.

Though the draft regulation is not a dramatic departure from a previous regulation adopted in 2004, for many thousands of Chinese, their reactions can be summed up in a single phrase: “No thanks.”

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

My new residence permit is good for only one year - which they said we could get without a new medical exam. Next year, I'll be 70, but the day AFTER this one expires. At 70, we hear you don't need further medical exams. This will hopefully save us trips to either Guigang or Nanning, since there is no China Inspection and Quarantine Hospital in Yulin.

visa 2021_02 redact.jpg

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

from CHINA VISA&RESIDENCE PERMIT2021 on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Chinavisaworkpermit/posts/1701831270020321/

(doesn't embed)

residence permits in China.jpg

Weixin link:

National Immigration Administration update measures for expats

The National Immigration Administration launched a number of new initiatives for the convenience of the people. 5 major measures have been introduced. Among them, there are 2 reforms relevant to expats in China.

1. Broaden the scope of online appointment service. Foreigners in China can make appointments online with the entry-exit administration of the public security authorities and pre-fill application documents to further improve the efficiency of processing and reduce the waiting time.

2. Improve the management of long-term resident foreigners in China.

Strengthen information sharing with relevant departments, re-engineer the process, and promote the "one-window operation and parallel approval" of work permits and residence permits for imported talents.

Foreign talents holding work permits in China can receive continuing education without having to go through the procedure of changing their residence permits.

China will further expand channels to attract and utilize foreign talent, improve work permit and visa systems, and create more convenient conditions for them to work and live in China, Chinese Premier Li Keqiang said Thursday.

He spoke highly of the contributions made by foreign experts in China's reform, opening-up, development, and exchanges between China and foreign countries.

To achieve its development goals, China needs to better leverage the powerful driving force of innovation and the support role of talented people, he said.

"We will keep deepening international cooperation in scientific and technological innovation and integrate into the global innovation network more actively. We will promote international exchanges and cooperation in technology, personnel, and projects, and support scientists around the world to conduct research on mutual challenges," he said.

China will expand its reform and opening-up, continue to optimize the environment for innovation and entrepreneurship, and build a more attractive global innovation center, Li said. China will also continue reform to delegate power, streamline administration, optimize government services, and foster a market-oriented and law-based international business environment.

China will promote fair competition, strictly protect property and intellectual property rights in accordance with the law, and constantly stimulate market vitality and social creativity, he added.

China has a sincere thirst for experts, with consistent policies for attracting and respecting them, Premier Li said, adding the country will explore more ways to bring in foreign talent while continually improving work permit and visa systems to facilitate their employment and life in China.

Source: 国家移民管理局 National Immigration Administration;Xinhua; 中国政府网

https://www.nia.gov.cn/n897453/c1440441/content.html

http://english.www.gov.cn/premier/news/202109/30/content_WS6155c6d7c6d0df57f98e11f6.html

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hello all...

Haven't been on CFL for years but had several million posts in the old days...Anywho Li and I are thinking about moving to China to live...She is still a Chinese citizen with a US Permanent Residency, I am a USC...She may or may not become a USC before we do this...

We have an unfinished apartment in Qionghai, Hainan where we would like to live...I'm only going to do this if it's relatively painless...I see that there is a D Visa for such moves...Is it impossible to get this or what...Li also tells me that rules for Hainan are going to change considerably in 2025 as the CCP intends for Hainan to compete with Hong Kong and Macau...

D

Issued to those who intend to   reside in China permanently.

The original and photocopy of the   Confirmation Form for Foreigner’s Permanent Residence Status

Welcome back, Roger.

The D visa is not really an option - see my note on that in the first post in this topic.

You would apply for a Q1 visa. A Q1 allows entry for 30 days, during which you head over to the PSB Entry and Exit Bureau to apply for the residency permit, which is good for up to 3 years. You can then painlessly renew it until you are eligible for the green card, as outlined in this topic.

Other visas (like Q2) are possible to use for the initial entry, but any active visa will be canceled when you get the residence permit.

Hainan allows visa-free entry, but I'm not sure that that would work for getting a residence permit.

See http://candleforlove.com/forums/topic/47314-applying-for-a-chinese-green-card/?tab=comments#comment-617361

I still haven't applied for one, but that's partly because I'm retired, and partly because getting a resident permit is the path of lesser resistance. 

Another change is that China is now a party to the Hague Convention - as of just last week.
CHINA ACCEDES TO THE HAGUE APOSTILLE CONVENTION

If your wife becomes an American citizen, that may cause problems with getting a "family reunion" residence permit, since her family does not live in Hainan. I'm not sure what to tell you there. There are others whose spouses became American citizens, but I can't think of anyone who wanted to settle in a different province, away from their family.

Hainan is the only province I'm going to...Li does have 2 places in her home province of Hunan but I would only stay short term there...Hunan is just as hot as Hainan in the summer but is cold in the winter...Her family and friends can come to Hainan to visit any time, we'll have 2 guest bedrooms...We've just spent the last 10 years wintering in Florida so freezing again is not an option...🥶

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, rogerluli said:

Hainan is the only province I'm going to...Li does have 2 places in her home province of Hunan but I would only stay short term there...Hunan is just as hot as Hainan in the summer but is cold in the winter...Her family and friends can come to Hainan to visit any time, we'll have 2 guest bedrooms...We've just spent the last 10 years wintering in Florida so freezing again is not an option...🥶

I was in South Florida the day it snowed in Miami.

2 minutes ago, rogerluli said:

Randy, Is your wife a USC ?

I realized that we could register and do all the paperwork in Hunan since she has a house there...and then go to Hainan to live most of the time...They don't keep track of your whereabouts do they...😶

No she's not. But yes - another option is to just buy a Q2 to get into China. Once there, go to whatever PSB you want to register with to talk about the residence permit. The Q2 will give you more time to sort out what your best option is and will be active until you actually apply for the residence permit. The only problem is that border runs may be necessary, depending on what they give you for a length of stay. My guess is that they would approve your "family reunion" residence permit in Hunan, but then decline the renewal once they see how little time you spend there.

You'll need to get a Temporary Residence Registration for Foreigners each time you switch.

I'm just about certain that you'll be better off if your wife keeps her Chinese citizenship. I believe that would make a residence permit for Hainan possible. She can draw your SS money after you croak (even in China as a Chinese citizen), since she spent more than 5 years with you in the US.

So  my advice for now is to NOT let her naturalize as an American citizen, and then YOU apply for a Q2 (tourist) visa until you sort out what you can do for a residence permit by talking to both PSB Entry and Exit Bureaus (Hainan and Hunan). You won't need a Q1 at all.

I only have one worry in your response and that is that, yes my wife and yours under current SS laws can draw our SS account after we die...But the government has to look for ways to restore the entire SS system to solvency and what if one of those ways will be to cut off payments to non citizens and non permanent residents not living in the US...That, of course, is unknowable today...😶

Thanks very much for your responses...It is most appreciated....

• Like 2