Medical treatment in the U.S. for father in law in China

Mr. Don

My wife found out tonight that her dad, who lives in China, has a tumor on one of his lungs. He's been a heavy smoker for a long time. She is understandably very upset and concerned and is thinking about trying to bring him to the U.S., which is where we live, to be treated. Does anyone have experience with something like this? I know since he has no insurance in the U.S. it's going to be pretty expensive.

Any input would be appreciated

Thank you!

It is kinda late so I'll say a little then someone else will help you much more.

First of all I am very sorry to hear that. My last wife of 25 years died of this terrible disease (cancer). Without health insurance you will be fully responsible for any medical treatment. Lung cancer is one of the hardest kinds to treat successfully and any mention of cancer and the bill quadruples. There are two basic kinds large cell and small cell. The 5 year survival rate is 31% if it has not spread but that does not mean that it will not come back even after 5 years. I am sure that you know all of this already. My wife's treatment was $325,000 for 18 months. Thank God I had good insurance but it still left me owing a lot of money.

I know that what your are looking for is how can you get him here for treatment. I have not read up on these processes in about 18 years so that is when the wife and I were going through the process. Back then they were not swayed by this kind of concern for loved ones like mother, fathers and brothers only children of the Chinese spouse. The immigration folks are kind of a heartless bunch and see to it that everyone follows the sane guidelines for getting into the country. The last time that I saw something like this it could take 10 years for mother and fathers to get into the country and that is after your wife has become a US Citizen. If she has not become a US Citizen it may be very bleak for him to get into the country. Bear in mind someone else will be MUCH more helpful that I can.

I do hope that I am wrong and someone else can help you much more than I can.

Edited by amberjack1234 (see edit history)

Thanks for your quick response and help. I really appreciate it and this is what I love about this group. One thing I failed to mention is that her father and mother both were recently approved for a tourist visa to visit the U.S. If we bring him here for second opinion and possible treatment, I'm expecting it to be costly from a financial perspective. I'm going to call tomorrow and find out what we're looking at and how long this may take. I'm not sure time is on our side

Thank you again!

There are better guys on this forum that can get to the nitty gritty here but just a perliminary look at the possibility shows that perhaps a health tourist visa may be obtainable.

Here is a link to get an idea of how it may work for you. It's from a law firm that does solicit business, but it appears to me to be legit. I used a law firm to get my Chinese wife here and I am very pleased with their completeness and advocacy. We almost had to sue the Department of State.

http://lawandborder.com/visas-for-medical-treatment/

The guys here can probably give more detail and you may be able to do this yourself. The part about coming here for initial treatment and diagnosis and then go back to China for the full treatment might save you some money.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Allon. thanks for your response. Her father just received a tourist visa from the U.S. and can come here any time. We're trying to figure out the "how" of him receiving diagnosis and treatment when he comes her, if that's what my wife and her father decide, and how to pay for it w/o insurance

thanks again

The tourist visa is a blessing for him to have already in the bank so to speak. I would suggest at this point to also find a doctor, cancer treatment center or hospital that would agree to you picking up the tab on the diagnosis at least and possibly some treatment. Doctors now a days, in my parts of the country, have signs in almost everyone of their windows where you check in at that says that they don't take medicaid patients. That is for Americans. They really don't want to take Federal Blue Cross and Blue Shield if they can help it. Even with that I now have to pay the co-payment before they will see me because they want to charge about double what they should be charging. I have now crossed the Medicare line and most all of that has been taken care of but we are not here to talk about me. I am just expressing how difficult it is even for Americans.

Dan will see this tomorrow morning and I am sure that he will have a LOT more information. Randy lives in China and should be up now but he does have a life to live so he can not be here every minute watching this forum but he is very knowledgeable on such things. They are about the best two that we have however there are others that are very knowledgeable as well but they don't stay up in the wee hours of the morning like some of us do.

Best of luck to you and your family.

Edit: That was an excellent link that Allon gave you. If he can get here and then get into some kind of center perhaps he can get his visa changed so that he can stay longer for treatment.

Edited by amberjack1234 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Thanks so much. The cost is definitely a concern along with how hesitant doctors are to see patients w/o health insurance. I'm going to try some of the cancer centers tomorrow or Monday if they aren't open tomorrow, and go from there

Appreciate you all!

The only snag I see is that, as far as any clinic here in the U.S. is concerned, your father-in-law could skip the country at any point. But that would seem to simply be a payment and responsibility issue that you would work out with them in advance.

It seems like there was a similar topic at some point in the past, but I haven't found it yet.

They could take a portion upfront or have you as a guarantor or co-signor. Most forms nowadays have that clause in the contract you sign with the doctor.

You might squeeze into APA or Obamacare if the father is a legal resident of the US. In any case, he is entitled to emergency care (not free) if a crisis occurs.

Try: http://www.visitorguard.com/obamacare-for-usa-visitors-and-immigrants/

Here is what you are stuck with (from the site):

1. Visitors to the United States

Non-US citizens traveling to the United States on vacation or to visit friends and relatives do not need PPACA coverage. If you are a resident or a citizen of another country and you are temporarily traveling to the US then you are exempt from the PPACA rules – you don’t have to have health insurance and you won’t be fined by the US government if you don’t have health insurance.

However, traveling as a visitor to the United States without any form of health insurance is dangerous. Healthcare remains expensive in the US even if Obamacare strives to bring costs down. If you don’t have insurance to cover your medical treatment you will have to pay for it yourself. The cost of treating illness and injury in the US can mount up to hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars.

As a non-US citizen you are unable to buy the same health insurance as US residents but you can purchase Visitors Insurance or short-term health insurance for travelers to the US. Visitors Insurance is designed to protect travelers from high medical bills during their time in the States. Coverage includes doctors’ visits, treatment in the emergency room or in the hospital, treatment for non-life threatening and life-threatening illnesses and injuries, prescription drugs, repatriation and emergency medical evacuation, To sum up – non-US visitors to the United States don’t need to worry about the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act but they will need to purchase temporary health insurance for their own peace of mind and personal protection.

I think you are definitely talking about some kind of agreement with the clinic (and I would go to a cancer clinic) so calling first would be appropriate. The very best of luck to you.

• Like 1