New Ken Burns series about Vietnam War

True Blue

I was sooooo close to just turning it off.

Mick, we got there about the same time. I did end up at Fish Hook and points north and east. Started at NKP to get oriented. Then we were told Khe Sanh was our AOR. I was a PJ and did infils and exfils but the priority was downed crewman -- of all kinds. I got stuck doing hospital duty -- surgery -- at Ban me Thout -- in addition to my normal duties. I wanted it. I had a lot of previous experience in surgery and it got used. I still have macabre dreams. Nightmares actually. Some meds finally worked.

I have deep admiration and respect for the LRRP's and SF guys who went out with nothing but one M79, some CAR 15s, pistols, knives, and a whole of balls. The Marines that did backup support for the Hatchet forces were beyond belief. Those Skyraider pilots carried them in a bowling bag. A couple of them actually had the cockpit open and wore scarves that trailed in the wind as they laid bombs and strafed. What a sight.

So many died. Watching that stuff last night reminded me of the anger I had when I got back. I still grit my teeth. I don't know who to be mad at though. I guess just the situation. The guy who got drafted after he went through active duty with the Marines was no surprise to me. I got a draft notice when the lottery started. You just cannot argue with stupid. It took letter after letter and I still had to take the physical. They finally got the records straight. But I flunked the physical anyway. I showed the doc the scars that have healed nicely since then. I still had some pooling of blood in my thigh and knee. It still happens now and again.

A string of epithets comes to mind but what good would that do....S*** happens. I am proud of what I did. I saved lives.

It's hard for me when I see that sweet face who is so propagandized by the Chinese government. What can you do but just shrug your shoulders and enjoy the moment. I signed an agreement not to discuss the cross border ops for 20 years. I don't want to discuss anything really. Not a thing. Not a thing..........

Hope they go easy on us tonight. Not sleeping well.

• Like 2

In many ways, I am glad the series is over. I felt compelled to watch, but then would either get pissed and turn it off. Last night, believe it or not, I actually fell asleep and woke up during what must have been the second showing. Not sure. Hearing the stories of guys getting yelled at, cursed, etc. on their return brought back some really bad memories and that story about the Marine getting drafted just brought home how stupid our system was. Allon, I am sorry you had to go through something like that yourself. Glad they finally came to their senses and realized you were a vet. I wonder how often that happened and if any guys ever were inducted. Lots of folks are upset about the series. I just have mixed feelings. I have been through a lot worse. My hats off to all who served then and other wars.

Allon, my prayers are with you. Hope your sleep improves. I know that experience as it comes and goes with me. You are a good man and a brave man, never forget that.

Edited by Mick (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Well, wasn't fishing for that but thanks, Mick.

When I was at the University, the Marines made the stupid mistake of recruiting at the University Center. There is a big-necked sergeant handing out brochures and signing up meat for the war machine -- you can tell by that time I was hoping the war would end. It became pointless. We should have bombed Hanoi early on and kept it up. Along with the trails leading from China and the Soviet Union...

It was like the French Revolution. There was an upstairs balcony that looked over the sign up area in the lobby. "Students" were sitting on the floor with their legs dangling over the ledge of the banister and taunting this Marine sergeant who was losing his patience. A couple of the young ladies were wearing the same garb of the French Revolution. -- that long conical knit cap with a ball at the end. Long stockings that had white and blue bands.

It became a game to them. So get the war over with. The anger just built up inside to the point where I was going to start ripping throats so I walked out into the quadrangle and kept walking until I hit a bench and sat. A friend saw me came up gingerly and asked, Somethin' wrong, EriK?

Yeah, something's wrong.

Films like this one just bring it all out again. I gave up on it. If I had the script, I would need a red pencil and when that happens, it ain't worth it.

And I think of both sides too. I envision my father who planned Arc Light missions...staring down those stereo glasses that enlarge a photo of a bombing run. He told me once, Son, we are killing millions of their people. And they just get a bulldozer and clear the road and send more down the Trail.

What can you say better to sum up that war....

• Like 3

Dear Allon, Mick, Tsap, and all others who served,

You are American heroes. Thank you for your service on behalf of all of us. I am both sorry and ashamed at the lack of support that you and other vets received from the American people both while in Vietnam and after returning. You answered the call when we, your country needed you. Our gratitude and prayers will always be with you.