My question is about the medical exam before the interview. My wife's interview is in a couple of weeks time, and I just found out there is reason to believe she may fail part of this exam. The issue is correctable but requires time.

My question is does anyone have any experience with this sort of thing? I'm considering re-scheduling the interview, but I'm wondering if it would be better to just go ahead and have the interview and then have to resubmit medical evidence afterward (assuming that is the procedure). Or if she fails the medical for any reason, treatable or not, is that an outright visa denial?

Thanks for any help

Medical is looking for things that pose a serious health threat to others and would be indicated on the report. They vaccinate if the person does not have a record of vaccination.

What issue?

Also in my entire time with this forum I have yet to see a denial over medical issue posted about.

from the CDC - Notice that HIV was removed from the list a few years ago. Simply failing a test may not make the applicant ineligible, but further testing and/or vaccination may be required.

Medical Examination: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

What is the purpose of the medical examination?

The purpose of the medical examination is to identify applicants with inadmissible health-related conditions for the Department of State (DOS) and U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). The health-related grounds for inadmissibility include persons who have a communicable disease of public health significance, who fail to present documentation of having received vaccination against vaccine-preventable diseases, who have or have had a physical or mental disorder with associated harmful behavior, or who are a drug abuser or an addict.

. . .

What are the communicable diseases of public health significance that would cause an applicant to fail a medical examination or be inadmissible?

Communicable diseases of public health significance include—

• Tuberculosis
  • Syphilis
  • Gonorrhea
  • Hansen's Disease (Leprosy)

And the following two disease categories--

• Quarantinable diseases designated by any Presidential Executive Order. Current diseases include: cholera, diphtheria, infectious tuberculosis, plague, smallpox, yellow fever, viral hemorrhagic fevers, severe acute respiratory syndromes, and influenza caused by novel or re-emergent influenza (pandemic flu).
  • Events that are reportable as a public health emergency of international concern (PHEIC) to the World Health Organization (WHO) under the International Health Regulations (IHR) of 2005 (currently polio, smallpox, SARS, influenza, and other public health emergencies of international concern.)

Some health-related waivers may be available for these diseases. For general information concerning the role that the CDC plays in the waiver process, you may visit our website. Additional information concerning Form I-601, the waiver application, and the requirements is located on the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) website.

. . .

Do all vaccine series have to be completed before vaccination requirements are fulfilled?

For vaccines requiring a series, only a single dose is required for immigration purposes. However, the Civil Surgeon should check the “insufficient time interval” box on the I-693 Form, and also advise the applicant to complete the series in the future.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

Hey guys, thanks for your responses.

To clarify the a little further the specific issue had to do with the communicable diseases, so our worry was that she wouldn't have time between the medical and the interview to take care of it, and then we weren't sure what the result would be.

Anyway, it turned out to be a false scare for us praise God, but I'll post what we learned anyway in case it helps someone else.

After we found out there might be an issue, my wife called the clinic in Guangzhou to verify what steps we should take. We thought that there would be an issue with the communicable diseases so we asked what we should do, start treatment where we live locally first and bring a Dr.'s note? Did we need to reschedule the interview, etc.

What the Dr. we spoke to told us, which was pretty crucial if there had been an issue, was that any treatment received had to be through their clinic. So if there actually had been a problem and we started treating it locally in our city before we arrived in Guangzhou, it would have been worthless as far as the medical exam goes, or this was our understanding anyway. They emphasized that we had to have the treatment done for any issues by their clinic. So my wife left on the next flight she could get (as our interview is coming up very soon so she needed to start treatment ASAP if we would make it in time) and had her medical exam. To our relief the results turned out fine showing no issues at all.

• Like 1