Changing Name After Marriage in China

ZhWei

Dear Candle Friends-

My husband and I have been happily enjoying time with friends in the US for 2 months now. We are so grateful for all of your help!

Here's our question: how can I get my name changed from my maiden name to my husband's surname? We were married in China, so of course the certificate shows no name change.

I've been exploring some options online and it seems like we can either get married again here for $20 or file a legal name change for $450. Obviously getting married again is cheaper, but won't that screw up all of our records, including my husband's green card papers since our original marriage date was 4 years ago?

Thoughts?

Has anyone gone through this?

Dear Candle Friends-

My husband and I have been happily enjoying time with friends in the US for 2 months now. We are so grateful for all of your help!

Here's our question: how can I get my name changed from my maiden name to my husband's surname? We were married in China, so of course the certificate shows no name change.

I've been exploring some options online and it seems like we can either get married again here for $20 or file a legal name change for $450. Obviously getting married again is cheaper, but won't that screw up all of our records, including my husband's green card papers since our original marriage date was 4 years ago?

Thoughts?

Has anyone gone through this?

What is the law in your state? Most states (and the federal government) allow a "common law" name change after marriage. If you're not sure, take your marriage white book to the Social Security office and/or the driver's license bureau and see if they won't change it for you.

https://www.theknot.com/content/name-change-101

Thanks! I guess we'll start by going into the offices and asking.

Another question: if I change my name, will the white certificates still be valid in China since my name will be different? I guess I would just have to take the documents showing what my name was and what it was changed to, right?

Thanks so much!

Thanks! I guess we'll start by going into the offices and asking.

Another question: if I change my name, will the white certificates still be valid in China since my name will be different? I guess I would just have to take the documents showing what my name was and what it was changed to, right?

Thanks so much!

Don't over-think it there - you ARE married!

Yes, just keep a folder of identity documents to prove anything you might need to prove. You might keep your OLD passport w/visa around after you get one in your new name just in case.