Been a while since I have been here. My wife has been here now for long time. She became a citizen this past April. All is going well. One question however.. We applied for her son to come maybe 5 years ago. We hear little or nothing from USCIS. We were told when she became a citizen it would speed up the process. The only number we have comes up as not a good number. So, does it take this many years, with very little communication? He is now 28 years old... Appreciate any suggestions. Jim

The visa preference classes are strange. Not sure how to handle this depending on the filing dates for the two classes he falls under...

Issuing visa numbers to cases filed before:

F1 22 SEP 2009 (Unmarried son of US Citizen)

F2B 15 MAR 2010 (Unmarried son of Permanent Resident)

So in this case sticking to F2B is a few months faster, but depending on the numbers they can flip flop, check the bulletin monthly.

https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/law-and-policy/bulletin/2017/visa-bulletin-for-october-2016.html

• Like 1

One more note, if he does marry in the meantime, pref class drops to F3, if he does marry and conceals this and interviews as unmarried under F1 or F2B and immigrates then petitions for wife, if USCIS catches it they can easily revoke and deport stating misrepresentation.

I read about a case in Pennsylvania where this happened to a couple.

We thought it would be quicker once she became a citizen.. Seems logical.. How do we opt out of F1?

You can simply not upgrade. It's your call - remember that the priority dates can change from month to month.

If You Were an LPR and Are Now a U.S. Citizen: Upgrading a Petition

You can track how it's changed in the past here - https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/law-and-policy/bulletin.html

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)