Question about leaving China on US Visa

Ok, I know it seems like every day there is a new issue now... My wife talked to a friend in the Public Security Bureau and he told her that he didn't know if she could leave China with her US visa. I just want to see what others have experienced here too. I have heard of an exit permit that some people must get before leaving China, but this is not commonplace for those getting US visas to come to the US is it? We were planning to fly from Hong Kong anyway, but either way she needs to pass through Chinese immigration to get out of the country. What barriers do I need to be aware of? For some reason I thought that if you flash your US visa, they will stamp you out of the country without a hassle.

Thanks

Guest hakkamike

There has not been a requirment for a exit permit for leaving China for a few years now I believe. Now if you were married and had a child while in China I think that you would still have to get one for the child to leave the country.

Later, Michael Perez

My understanding is the airplane companies/ticket sellers will not issue you a ticket unless you have the Visa to go to the US. So I assume if you have the ticket and it is a K-1 with no kids involved you are good to go.. I have not heard of any issues of leaving once you have the Visa. I am not sure about K-3 etc.

Mike

I am not sure but I think you may in some cases.I know a guy here in Portland who married a woman who was a school teacher. He told me she had to get permission from the head master of the school in order to leave the country.

some companies do require you to have the visa first, the one my fiance used last month did that. he couldn't confirm his tickets until he went there and showed them his visa...anyway, some will issue you them before you have the visa and dont require you to show them at any point.

GZ says not to buy your tickets until after the interview, but this just to make sure you dont lose your money if you visa is not issued.

some tickets do have the option of changing the departure date, but my fiance found more that would allow the return date changed on a two way ticket but were unwilling to make the departure date of a one way ticket changable.

no exit permit is required for the chinese citizens with an ameircan visa....except in the case of a child as mentioned before (born to the couple- one american, one chinese)

some cases do require permission, but that is just for jobs, such as mentioned before as well.....

china really never gets their say on whether their citizens leave or not in these situations, from what i can tell. i have just seen their involvement on this by way of issuing them what they need to get approved and out or not....like police certificates, passport, etc. but that is just my observation....

Ok, I know it seems like every day there is a new issue now... My wife talked to a friend in the Public Security Bureau and he told her that he didn't know if she could leave China with her US visa. I just want to see what others have experienced here too. I have heard of an exit permit that some people must get before leaving China, but this is not commonplace for those getting US visas to come to the US is it? We were planning to fly from Hong Kong anyway, but either way she needs to pass through Chinese immigration to get out of the country. What barriers do I need to be aware of? For some reason I thought that if you flash your US visa, they will stamp you out of the country without a hassle.

Thanks

For Jingwen, getting out of China (mainland) required only her passport with the K-1 visa. Getting into Hong required the passport/visa and a copy of the airplane ticket showing transit to the US within seven days.

I was told by the airline (United) that an itinerary would be sufficient (for e-ticket passengers), but I went ahead a popped for a paper ticket just to be safe.

We went through LuWu to HK and had no problems at all. Youyue had to go through a different line than Sonny and me. She had to do a little bit of explaining, show her plane tickets and do some pointing over to her son and husband. All-in-all it took all of 2 minutes at the border, not including standing in line. Saying goodbye to her mother and aunt took far more time. (And a sturdy mop after all the crying was done.) :)