When I was Your Age . . .

in the People's Daily - this video puts a whole perspective on the trip to school for these students

Cliff Village Draws Nationwide Concern, Villagers’ Only Way Out Being 17 Vertical Vine Ladders along Cliff

With an elevation of 1,400 meters, Le'er village is seated among the mountains in Liangshan Yi Autonomous Prefecture in southwest China’s Sichuan province. The village recently wretches the heart of the nation for a group of photos which show children from the village have to climb 17 almost vertical vine ladders on a daily basis in order to go to school at the foot of the mountain.
Reporters from thecover.cn went to Le'er village and captured in a footage the daily dangerous commute of the villagers.
Although the last victim of the vine ladders dates only back to 2009, the village has been proud that none of their children has fallen victim as they are well-protect. Every child is assigned a robust male adult to accompany them climbing the ladders. When climbing up, the adult comes after the child. When climbing down, vice versa. And a rope is always tied tight on both waists.
Local government has started research to figure out a best way to help remove the danger in the daily commute, but they are yet to find out a desirable solution. The villagers are unwilling to be relocated, and building a road is far beyond the budget of the local government.

http://www.rjw.com/cliffschool.rjw

in Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/PeoplesDaily/videos/1171969349521547/

in the People's Daily - this video puts a whole perspective on the trip to school for these students

Cliff Village Draws Nationwide Concern, Villagers’ Only Way Out Being 17 Vertical Vine Ladders along Cliff

With an elevation of 1,400 meters, Le'er village is seated among the mountains in Liangshan Yi Autonomous Prefecture in southwest China’s Sichuan province. The village recently wretches the heart of the nation for a group of photos which show children from the village have to climb 17 almost vertical vine ladders on a daily basis in order to go to school at the foot of the mountain.

. . .

Local government has started research to figure out a best way to help remove the danger in the daily commute, but they are yet to find out a desirable solution. The villagers are unwilling to be relocated

Apparently, most other articles say that the children make the trip only once every two weeks

. . .

Local government has started research to figure out a best way to help remove the danger in the daily commute, but they are yet to find out a desirable solution. The villagers are unwilling to be relocated

Apparently, most other articles say that the children make the trip only once every two weeks

I would hope that would at least be the case.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok...that beats the heck out of "I walked to school 5 miles in hip deep snow, uphill, both ways"

Holy moley!

Ok...that beats the heck out of "I walked to school 5 miles in hip deep snow, uphill, both ways"

Holy moley!

That was really what I did on the way to school, walking in hip deep snow step by step in the darkness both in the morning and in late evening.

As a child, I also liked to lick some metal fence on the street to see how cold it was. All children knew that the cold weather may well rip off our wet skin, either from our finger or the tongue. So I licked the fence long enough to melt it. Oh, Gosh, time flies! Can't go back anymore.

• Like 1