My Chrisatmas heart broken

To all my fellow August sufferers,

I know that this will not make any of you feel better, but please know that you are not alone. We interviewed August 5, and are still getting the "not clear yet" routine. My fiancee called me this morning, heartbroken and crying, to let me know that she had finally gotten through to GZ, only to be told "not clear." Also, one of her friends, who applied and interviewed more than THREE months after we did, has been cleared, and been told that her EMS will be arriving any day.

There is no justice in this situation - NONE.

To all my fellow August sufferers,

I know that this will not make any of you feel better, but please know that you are not alone.  We interviewed August 5, and are still getting the "not clear yet" routine.  My fiancee called me this morning, heartbroken and crying, to let me know that she had finally gotten through to GZ, only to be told "not clear."  Also, one of her friends, who applied and interviewed more than THREE months after we did, has been cleared, and been told that her EMS will be arriving any day.

There is no justice in this situation - NONE.

It is no justice on this total mess. We just hope everything is getting better and better. We could not do anything to speed this up unless we know where our name check stuck. The people will not work hard during this week since it is holiday.

We know that we are screwed, and life is not fair. But we still need to cheer up to live our life. Today we have no luck, tomorrow we will have a fortune. Let's wish.

My wife is also an August interviewee. She received security clearance on December 6, but as late as December 19, the EMS letter was not mailed out. By doing what I did below, and starting all of this on December 19, I was able to get a visa pick up letter via e-mail, and my wife received her visa this morning. Wish you the same luck!

Keep calling DOS on a regular basis, to know the latest status of the security clearance. If someone other than Greg answers the phone, ask to be transferred to him, since he is the only officer I know of who will provide you with more than just the “yes” or “no”, regarding the security clearance status. Once you know that security clearance has occurred, wait a few days before calling DOS to find out if GZIV has mailed the EMS letter. You can also call GZIV, but it is difficult to get through in those few hours that they accept phone calls (which I believe is 2 – 4 pm, M – F). If after 10 days the letter still has not been mailed, call GZIV and ask to speak to a Consular Officer. I would not bother contacting either Linda Donahue or Wendy Lyle, since neither returned my e-mails or phone calls. Once you find a receptive CO, and this CO agrees that your case deserves immediate attention, have the CO write you an e-mail which states that the visa is ready for pick up. Have your loved one bring this e-mail (and passport, if the passport was not left at GZIV after the interview) to the white shed with blue roof in the park next to the Consulate. This must be done early in the morning, to increase the chances that the visa can be issued that afternoon. Good luck!

Oyster,

I have just one other question. You say that Greg will provide more information about the security clearance than just "yes" or "no". That's where I always get stuck. What other questions should I ask after I hear the dreaded "no" ? What else can he tell me about the status of the security clearance, other than "yes" or "no" ?

Again, thank you so much for your help.

Oyster,

I have just one other question.  You say that Greg will provide more information about the security clearance than just "yes" or "no".  That's where I always get stuck.  What other questions should I ask after I hear the dreaded "no" ?  What else can he tell me about the status of the security clearance, other than "yes" or "no" ?

Again, thank you so much for your help.

there is nothing else they can tell really, you in case the computer shows "not cleared"

If it says "cleared" and they are in the good mood they might tell you when it was cabled to GZ

Texan,

Eric & Yuhui are correct. Not much you can do if your loved one's security has not cleared. A post some weeks back on the Russian side of G7 commented that Greg returned his call on some issue, so it may be possible, if you are fortunate enough to get Greg again, to kindly ask him to e-mail you once your case clears. It is a long shot, but nothing to lose by asking.

I sent an e-mail to GZ about three weeks ago, suggesting that they post on their website a list of approved clearances by GUZ number, which would relieve them from answering phone calls, e-mails and faxes on that subject, but I never got a reply. Perhaps someone can ask DOS to do the same. Such a simple and effective way to reduce the tons of calls they get a day, and to relieve the stress that those who are waiting for the "YES" response, experience every day. The higher ups just don't get it. And they probably just don't care about us little folks.

Oyster, that would be a great idea. Oh my God, wait a minute this makes so much sense. Why in the world would we expect our elected officials to do something like that.

I mean it would save time, nerves, stress and resources. Of course this would also be a very effecient way to do this. So unfortunately this will never happen. Kudos to our government in action or non action once again....