Here is Tx info for DL

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administratio...rol/dlindex.htm

Social Security Number

The Texas Family Code, Section 231.302 ©(1), Texas Transportation Code, Sections 521.044 and 522.021 and the Administrative Rules, Section 15.42 and 16.40, require that a social security number be obtained from every applicant for a driver license or commercial driver license (CDL). The SSN will not appear on the license itself and will be disclosed only to those entities that have statutory authority to receive the social security number. This includes the Child Support Division of the Office of the Attorney General-State of Texas, the United States Selective Service Administration, and the Texas Secretary of State.

All applicants for a Texas driver license are required to show proof of his or her social security number before the initial license will be issued. On all duplicate and renewal driver license applications, documented proof of the social security number shall be obtained where the number is not currently part of the driver record. After the social security number becomes part of the driver license record, all future duplicate and renewal transactions occurring in a driver license office will be verified for the correct social security number. Should the social security number on record not match the number provided the applicant will be required to provide acceptable documentation for verification.

Individuals who have applied for and been denied the issuance of a Social Security number due to ineligibility or that have never applied for, been issued or assigned a SSN by the Social Security Administration may complete a Social Security Affidavit (DL-13). The affidavit will be available at the driver license office and must be sworn to before an authorized department employee. Providing a false statement to the department in connection with this affidavit will result in cancellation of the license and may result in criminal charges. The affidavit is not acceptable for the issuance of a commercial driver license. To be eligible for a CDL the person must have an SSN.

SSN is not required for individuals applying for an Identification Certificate.

Documentation for proof of the Social Security Number may include:

1. Federal issued Social Security Card. (Metal Social Security cards or types sold a flea markets will NOT be accepted).

2. Health Card (if member number represents Social Security Number).

3. Pilot's license

4. Military identification (Active and reserve duty personnel only, not acceptable for dependents).

5. Peace officer's license - Texas Commission on Law Enforcement Officer Standard and Education.

6. DD-214

7. Medicare/Medicaid Cards

8. Certified college/university transcript (designating number as SSN).

9. Veteran's administration card (with social security number preprinted on card).

All documents submitted as proof of Social Security Number are subject to review and final approval by the Driver License Office.

thanks dynasty!

speaking of driving....how does that work? when are our fiance(e)'s allowed to get their permit/license??

after marriage? what is required? do they have to pay some special fees?

i think we will go ahead and get the SSN, why not? hehe at least you dont have pay for it!:wacko: (right?)

jacob is dying to drive! he wants  me to take him everyday! last night was his first time on the road, we have been in parking lots before that. i told him it did no good to only keep going in parking lots, it was not reality. so we were on the road! it was something, let me tell you! ooohh boy! we got a long way to go! hehe

anyway, so if anyone could tell me what the deal is with the driver's license, that would be great!

thanks!

I don't know for sure, I'm going to just wing-it as we go. In AL, they say, all they require a SSN and a passport with the I-94 in it. The catch is, it says the I-94 must have at least 6 months available time remaining on it. (Of course it won't until we get the EAD, which will take quite a while from Atlanta). So I will argue, she never has to leave and show our marriage certificate.

Chang's first time driving certainly was an adventure, ( ha, every curb in town has her mark on it). I thought for sure she would need a real driving school. But she has improved by leaps and bounds everytime out, I give her lots of possitive encourgement and tell her she is doing great. She loves to drive now, and won't have any trouble at all.

Getting our wedding scheduled in the Catholic church is what we are focused on now. A whole new set of rules and paperwork, special dispensations, etc. Hopefully we can formally schedule our wedding for late April. The church requires at least 6 months notice, but our priest said he will make an exception because of our INS situation. It is all worth it, because I want her to have a wedding she'll cherish forever.

well back to the SSN for a minutes.....Jacob went today to get his. He filled out the papers, showed his I-94 and Passport, and had no problems with any of that. The lady said his name was spelled wrong the computer though. She said it was a descrepancy, and needed to be corrected. She said she will send in a form to the USCIS and correct it, and then he will receive a receipt and then 10 to 14 days later he will receive his card. No biggie! However, I am confused about the name spelling. I wasn't with him, someone else brought him there because I am at work, so I didn't get the full story. I am assuming the name spelling was entered incorrectly AFTER he got his visa and entered America, because we haven't known this or been contacted about this before now. So, who knows?? Any experience on this anyone? She didn't make sound like a big deal or hurdle, but something that needed to be corrected.

Now, on to the driving stuff....so our lovely other half is not allowed to get a license or permit until......until when? After marriage, for K-1?? After Applying for AOS? After receiving EAD? Can be done with SSN and I-94 and Passport, for K-1?? Anyone know?

I called my senator's office today to ask about Immigration, a friend told me this certain Senator is great! So, anyway, they told me the next steps in the process, which i already knew from CFL, hehe, and the lady was VERY nice! She didn't give me much more info than that though, so I was kind of disappointed! i may try to call back and see if they can tell me when he can do what, i mean like, when he can apply for driver permit, etc.....unless of course you faithful people on here can give me some answers!!!

So glad to finally be a part of the Immigration Challenges part now! I feel like we have successfully, and finally, crossed over a very long bridge!

We are together now, the rest is going to be a lot more pleasant with him by my side!!

Guest Long_strider

Kimjake,

Check with your DMV office reqarding requirments.

Some require an SSN, some don't. You should be able to apply for the permit any time unless the SSN is required. Just have the necessary documents to prove birthdate, ID, legal status in the US etc. Oh yeah, there is that little thing of passing the test... :D

just a little more clarification--

you said proof of legal status in US, does it matter what this status is, as long as it's legal?

i mean, he is legally here, on a K-1, is that good enough for a license? or does he have to have proof of permanent status??

i think ill call the DMV now, but just wondering what y'all know from experience as well.

and one more question, that i may find the answer to when i call them, but anyway, are you required to take written at one time and driving/road test at another, or can they be taken at the same time? i took mine at the same time, about 11 years ago....????

dont you just love it when you answer your own questions??

hehe

here is what i found! (for Louisiana), i looked it up on the internet instead of calling DMV....

Non-immigrants must show upon application for a Louisiana license or identification card that there are AT LEAST 180 DAYS left on their I-94 or Employment Authorization Document. Applicants with less than 180 days remaining shall be denied a Louisiana license or identification card.

Also, often applicants will present an I-94 that is expired, but the applicant will have a valid employment authorization document, or vise versa; as long as the applicant can present valid documentation, whether it be one document or several, that documentation will suffice for legal presence.

it also said that for a K-I there was no

Documentation issued by The Office of Homeland Security for Legal Presence

K-1: Fiancée of United States Citizen---No Issuance by OMV

doesn't look like Jacob will be getting any permission to drive legally for quite some time....oh boy!!

with as much as he wants to practice driving NOW, he will be a professional by the time he is able to legally drive!!! :D

another driving question......

the website also says-

DEFINITION OF DRIVER EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS

All first time applicants must furnish the following proof of driver education training as required by law.

FIRST-TIME APPLICANTS -- 17 Years of Age or older -- must provide proof of one of the following:

* A certificate of completion of a six (6) hour pre-licensing training course which has been approved by the Department of Public Safety & Corrections (i.e. R.S. 32:402.1)

* A certificate of completion of a driver education course consisting of a minimum of thirty (30) hours classroom instruction

* A certificate of completion of a driver education course consisting of a minimum of thirty (30) hours classroom instruction and six (6) hours of behind-the-wheel instruction which has been approved by the Department of Public Safety & Corrections

* An "Application and School Instruction Permit DE 1821 (R 10/95)"

* A letter, on letterhead, from a Louisiana high school signed by the principal or instructor certifying completion of the course

* An official transcript from a Louisiana school which indicates that high school course credit has been given for a driver's education course.

a driving course is required????

i know i took one, but i thought it was because i was 14 or so. I didn't know EVERYONE, no matter the age had to have one!?!?

Any comments or experience??

Of course, i would say it is somewhat comforting to know that everyone who gets a license has gone through some course to get it, but i guess i was just ignorant that it was actually a REQUIREMENT?!?!?

is this common accross our country?

Thank goodness we were able to get the drivers licensce - Temps- before any changes in the laws useing I-94 and Visa K-3 now the wife has her permanant, pleasently wearing the tires out on the car :blink: SSN we had to wait for EAD ID card and should have SSN number this week, just in time for taxes. anyone know if travel can be deducted, flight from China to here or any part of mine?