Quitting job and leaving China...

unmepbmn

(Sorry admins, if I am not posting this under a proper discussion groups, please help to correct it if necessary)

My situation: I am currently on Z-visa. However, it looks like after I quit my job, I still need a month or two in China to wrap up everything before I leave China.

My concern:

I heard that once you quit your job, your sponsor company will cancel your visa (which is directly linked with the residence permit).

I did my homework before I post this topic. I read that although your work visa will be canceled as long as you have residence permit with you, you are still legally staying in the country ?

Some say, once the work visa is canceled, your sponsor company would also ask you to go to local PSB to cancel your residence permit?

1. Whatever cancellation I might have to go through (work visa and residence permit), how much time do I actually have to leave the country without going to through any hassle ? I read 72 hours ? Is this true?

2. I also read that just to be in safe side, once the RP and WP gets canceled, I can changes from Z to L (Tourist visa) as a temporary option. I read somewhere this is only possible for 7 days - L visa??!! But some also mentioned that it is possible for regular 30 days - L visa ?

What if I still need to extend this 30 days as well, possible ?

3. Lastly, what documents MUST I get from China - PSB / Sponser company /Banks / Medical insurance / Tax bureau / Hospitals etc before I leave the country.

I do not have any plans to come back but just in case..if I need them abroad or for some reason coming back.

Please share your valuable thoughts and suggestion. Thank you very much in advance!

They may be able to cancel visa, however if you are married to a Chinese citizen, perhaps be able to get a residence permit based on marriage to a Chinese Citizen at the local PSB.

You have to be careful to avoid all the scuttlebutt in China when it comes to talk of Visas for foreigners. I had a Z-Visa in China for five years and, quit my job in December 2012. I had my Z-Visa in hand before quitting, which had an expiration date in mid-May 2013. They are not cancelled, but simply expire. I returned to the US for a few months in May 2013, and then went back to China on a tourist visa to live in Guangzhou for another year.

Edited by HotBaozi (see edit history)

The residence permit in your passport IS a visa and will allow you to enter and leave the country. My Q1 visa had a 30 day (after entry) expiration and has only a 90 day validity - the residence permit is all I need. My understanding is that the Z-visa works the same way.

Yes, check with the PSB - I'm sure they will tell you that all is well. If not, you could simply purchase a new visa or extend the old one, if needed.

3. Lastly, what documents MUST I get from China - PSB / Sponser company /Banks / Medical insurance / Tax bureau / Hospitals etc before I leave the country.

I do not have any plans to come back but just in case..if I need them abroad or for some reason coming back.

It's not clear what you're thinking here, nor am I aware of any reason why you might need anything. If you can easily do so, consider getting a "no police record" statement, either through your employer or at the PSB.

I actually "left" China last year - my residence permit expired while I was in the U.S. I was able to apply for the Q1 visa with no hassles. They told me on the spot it would be approved, with no documentation other than the old passport with entry/exit stamps and an invitation letter from my wife.

The only (VERY minor) complications I had were in leaving China with a COMPLETELY blank new passport - the IO just threw up her hands and passed me along to someone else - and then, after my return, checking into a hotel with a visa which had a 000 day length of stay (again simply passed along to someone else).

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

So if you find out that your Z-visa was "cancelled", that may simply be because of the 30 day limitation. Again, it's your residence permit that allows you to stay, and allows entry and exit.

I'm certain you can simply leave by the expiration date on the residence permit - if you need a longer stay, talk to the PSB. I expect that they can easily accommodate you.