New Sources for Vital Expat Food Groups

Randy W

I agree Larry. It's just insidious that an American president would try and have a level trading field with the Chinese. I jes don't get it.

It has to be a constant search, I am sure, to find American foods that we here in the states take for granted. Good thing that you can order them on Taobao!

Are you able to get any salsa to go with those tortillas?

About ready to order more there as well!

I am not being sarcastic in any way but I wouldn't wait to long because of the way things are swinging now it could disappear at any time along with any other American imported goods. Just trying to keep you at heart. We just don't know how far this trade thing is going to go.

I have a policy of ONLY buying what's available AND at a reasonable price (well, okay, maybe a LITTLE bit of sarcasm - forgive me)

Besides, the Canadian steaks are EXCELLENT.

Looking back through this thread, the only things sourced from the U.S. are the Pace Picante Sauce and the USDA Steaks (which we no longer buy).

Imported food in China is almost always from New Zealand or Australia - sometimes from Europe. American brands generally are made in China.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

. . . and another source for coffee, if someone wants to try them

https://www.manlaoriver.com/en/manlao-river-speciality-coffee/

f3e58a72c1.jpeg

In 2009, ManLao River became the first coffee producer in Yunnan to become organically certified in China and in 2010 also acheived EU and USDA organic certifications. Further cementing Yunnan’s place as an emerging specilaity origin, in 2012 a ManLao River coffee was used in the finals of the World Barrista Championship. This was followed in 2017 with a ManLao River becoming the the first Chinese coffee to be used in the finals of the World Roasting Championship.
Recognition of Yunnan as a coffee origin increased greatly with the Speciality Coffee Acossiation’s decision to use China as the 2018 Portrait Country. This involved a series of promotions at their events and online aimed at introducing coffee professionals around the world to the rising quality of Yunnan coffee.
A large portion of China’s high end specilaity coffee is consumed domestically, roasted by companies such as our own. With each passing season we see the quality of crop improve and a growing following of consumers in China and around the world. As the industry here continues to develop, we anticipate that specilaity coffee will become a larger and larger part of the mix to accomodate an ever larger global demand.

• 1 year later...
On 11/3/2018 at 10:40 AM, Randy W said:

I'll repost this while we're in here!

the Coffee from Yunnan is excellent

gallery_1846_633_58375.jpg

This guy's coffee business bit the big one during the pandemic, so we are now trying Impression Manor Coffee, also in Lijiang.

gallery_1846_733_1356160.jpg

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

• 2 years later...
On 7/13/2020 at 2:36 PM, Randy W said:

This guy's coffee business bit the big one during the pandemic, so we are now trying Impression Manor Coffee, also in Lijiang.

med_gallery_1846_733_1356160.jpg

business card from Impressions Manor Coffee, along with Google translation.

The QR code in Weixin goes to something labeled with "Nepal Region" - not sure what that is about. You can find Impression Manor coffee on Taobao.

Impression Manor coffee.jpg

• 3 months later...

Regular western style sandwich bread is now much more widely available.

I managed to buy all the ingredients to make some pretty decent french toast. ( those are raisins in the bread) The bread and "concentrated milk" I bought locally. The vanilla extract, cinnamon, and Costco Kirkland maple syrup came from Taobao.

20230630_112733.jpg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Randy W said:

Regular western style sandwich bread is now much more widely available.

I managed to buy all the ingredients to make some pretty decent french toast. ( those are raisins in the bread) The bread and "concentrated milk" I bought locally. The vanilla extract, cinnamon, and Costco Kirkland maple syrup came from Taobao.

20230630_112733.jpg

Good to hear. I haven't been to the mainland since early 2020 but even then I recall "sandwich-style" bread (which looked like your bread minus the raisins) being overly sweet, to the point where I started craving Wonder Bread LOL. From what I understand you can now buy pretty much any Western food on Taobao, everything from peanut butter to bread to coffee to meat. Looking forward to hopefully getting back over in 2024 - this year we decided on the MIL coming here and she just finished up her visit.

Edited by Barfus (see edit history)
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Barfus said:

Good to hear. I haven't been to the mainland since early 2020 but even then I recall "sandwich-style" bread (which looked like your bread minus the raisins) being overly sweet, to the point where I started craving Wonder Bread LOL. From what I understand you can now buy pretty much any Western food on Taobao, everything from peanut butter to bread to coffee to meat. Looking forward to hopefully getting back over in 2024 - this year we decided on the MIL coming here and she just finished up her visit.

Yes, most of the sandwich bread is about the same size as western sliced bread and comes in small packages of about 6 or 10 slices - and without raisins. And less sweet than what they used to sell.

I like that bread for french toast because of the texture, size, and, yes, the raisins.

Taobao is actually cheaper and easier (except for the one or two day delivery) than buying things locally. Shipping is very cheap (or free), and returns are usually painless.

• 3 months later...