New Sources for Vital Expat Food Groups

Randy W

Well,if the Ribeye supply is safe, then you're all set! :) Can't ask for a (arguably) better steak!

Really nice to be able to get the tortillas and sausages, though.

You know, when you live stateside, these thoughts never enter our minds for the most part. It only hits me when Rose wants to get something special and the Asian markets here don't have it.

• 3 months later...

Bringing meat back from Hong Kong might be problematic, and the malls in Shenzhen seem to be mostly of the foo-foo variety (high priced, prestige-type items).

But NEW (at least to me) on Taobao are Mission tortillas (genuine Tex-Mex) as sold to KFC, and Hormel sausages, including Spanish chorizo andgarlic bratwurst, and pastrami. Nice breakfast tacos, withe the picante sauce.

Nothing seems to have come of the new US beef imports, but I can still buy my USDA Choice ribeyes in Nanning.

Good stuff - and still partly frozen when it got here

gallery_1846_744_1365385.jpg

• Like 2

That is great for you Randy glad to hear it. Perhaps some of this trade thing between China and the US will bring more products that you would like to have.

Well, the trade war may have a fairly big effect on that. But these seem to be from genuine, Made in China production facilities. Mission Tortillas otherwise would not be here except that they sell to KFC. I'm not sure why Hormel has decided to open up in China, but hopefully, they can weather out the storm.

I think it was Gweilo60 who did an "exposé" of WalMart, claiming that they were "ripping off expats" by charging TWICE as much $1.50 for English-labeled Lay's tortilla chip, while the Chinese packages were only 75¢. The reality there was that the "English" packaging was imported from Taiwan, while Lays had just recently opened a new packaging facility in China.

You can tell imports from China-made products - the imports will usually have Chinese nutrition labeling glued on over the foreign label.

It's nice having these little reminders of home - Yulin is not exactly a culinary capital. We eat well, but with a VERY severe lack of variety. When we eat at a Chinese restaurant, Jiaying usually just tells me "beef", "pork", "chicken", or "lamb". "Western" restaurants tend to be fairly bland. Jiaying has a case of stomach ulcers, so her own diet is fairly bland.

I think Guangzhou and Hong Kong have the best restaurants and fairly mature markets for that. It's hard to tell, though, since you usually only have room for one or two good meals a day. For now, I've got my heart set on a good hamburger. The Chinese word for hamburger is hanbobo, which actually refers to the bun. It's usually a chicken burger, often smothered in what passes for mayonnaise.

We've been to a few Western restaurants in Beihai and Yangshuo that either closed down, or were turned over to their Chinese employees when the Western proprietor went home.

I think it was Gweilo60 who did an "exposé" of WalMart, claiming that they were "ripping off expats" by charging TWICE as much $1.50 for English-labeled Lay's tortilla chip, while the Chinese packages were only 75¢. The reality there was that the "English" packaging was imported from Taiwan, while Lays had just recently opened a new packaging facility in China.

You can tell imports from China-made products - the imports will usually have Chinese nutrition labeling glued on over the foreign label.

Also, the RT Mart here has started carrying some Smithfield products - bacon, sausage, and ham - but it looks like they only stocked enough for ME (they know their market).

Not quite as good as Hormel.

The Chinese-owned US pork supplier says the move is a further step in expanding its e-commerce and China businesses

WH Group acquired Smithfield in 2013 for US$4.7 billion, amid a quest by Chinese food companies for overseas assets as domestic consumers became increasingly wary about the safety of home-produced foods.
“Through this partnership, Smithfield Foods will take yet another step in developing its e-commerce business and expand its presence in China, as we meet consumers where they shop,” said Kenneth Sullivan, president and CEO of Smithfield.

Yep, when the Chinese bought Smithfield the wife was pissed but they have made a marinated tenderloin with cumin in it that is GREAT. A little pricey I think about $10 bucks for a small one about the size of a rib eye steak but of course round. I absolutely love them. They have them on sale frequently to get folks to eat them for 1/2 price and then continue buying them. I'll get my limit and the wife will too. As you know Smithfield was started right here in NC (Smithfield North Carolina) many years ago and the wife thought that the Chine would take it over and screw it up but they have made it even better I think.

. . .

That was a good looking picture of that ribeye that you posted.

Edited by Randy W
split off (see edit history)

• 3 months later...
The Tariffs hit Guangxi - our import shop in Nanning is now selling Canadian Premium Angus rib-eyes at ¥85, instead of USDA Choice at ¥85, or about $11.20/lb.

1-Cent Deli and St. Pauli Kommune have both bit the big one, but the Hormel meats, Smithfield, and Mission tortillas are still on Taobao.

gallery_1846_635_72662.jpg

Need to remember - KFC's tortillas are genuine Tex-Mex, and sold on TaoBao. We are just now ordering a refill. Once, she came up with a cheaper, Chinese-made "try this" substitute, so I need to make sure she orders the right thing.

c1f1f826d9.png

It's 麦西恩 or Mài xī ēn Mission 8-inch flour tortillas

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

It has to be a constant search, I am sure, to find American foods that we here in the states take for granted. Good thing that you can order them on Taobao!

Are you able to get any salsa to go with those tortillas?

About ready to order more there as well!

gallery_1846_744_262840.jpg

• Like 1

It has to be a constant search, I am sure, to find American foods that we here in the states take for granted. Good thing that you can order them on Taobao!

Are you able to get any salsa to go with those tortillas?

About ready to order more there as well!

gallery_1846_744_262840.jpg

I am not being sarcastic in any way but I wouldn't wait to long because of the way things are swinging now it could disappear at any time along with any other American imported goods. Just trying to keep you at heart. We just don't know how far this trade thing is going to go.