Transiting Thru China

Hello Everyone. I would like to wish you all and your families a very Happy Thanksgivings. Hope you all have a great weekend. Before going to China this year I am going to visit Bangkok first. I have a 6 hour stopover in Shanghai on my way from the states to Thailand. I applied for a Chinese visa with a start date of when I will finally stay in China ( not of one when I will be stopping over in Shanghai). Did I do that right? Also what am I going to do when I am in Shanghai waiting for my flight to Thailand. Will I be able to get a hotel room? Will I be able to wonder around the airport? On my way back to China I have a 8 hour stop over in Kumming on my way to Beijing. I booked my flight thru China Eastern. It is all on the one ticket. I wonder what I am going to do in Kumming for 8 hours. I wasn't able to plan this trip that well due to some late minute changes that came up. What do you guys think? Danb

A visa will usually have an "issue date" - it is good from the date it is issued, not from the date of your first trip.

But I believe Shanghai offers 72-hour visa-free stays, so you shouldn't have a problem leaving the international area, if you wish.

Is it a multiple entry visa? How many bags do you have to lug around?

In Shanghai I would be tempted to put all my bags in the bag check room and take the mag-lev downtown. On second thought, no I wouldn't. I don't want to have the hassle of leaving the airport and then coming back in time go through security again. I'd stick with what Randy said.

ditto in Kunming as far as checking the bags. Then roam out as far as you dare.

• 2 weeks later...

Shanghai has some day rate hotels in the airport itself. I should get into at Shanghai at 5 in the morning and leave around noon time. At kunming I get there at midnite and leave at 8 in the morning.. Not the best choices but there were some conditions that dictated those times. I heard that the new Kunming airport is a bit out of the way. But I also heard that under certain conditions China Eastern will put passengers up in a hotel who are transiting thru China. Not sure if that is true and what the conditions are. Has anyone ever flown China Eastern? Any stories to tell? Danb