CR1 Electronic Filing Processes

UPDATE: I tried sending 23 MB in one email that contained 41 PDF attachments. Biggest single attachment was 1.9 MB. This 23 MB email immediately bounced back as undelivered due to size limitation (although I was able to send to myself no problem).

I then created 5 emails labeled (1 of 5), (2 of 5), etc, and divided up my 41 PDF attachments so each email was under 5 MB in total. I prepared drafts of all 5, and sent all 5 withing 3 minutes of each other. Then, I immediately received 5 automated confirmation emails back from NVC saying they received each one.

Now, I'm just waiting for the visa officer to reply.

• 4 weeks later...

UPDATE: I tried sending 23 MB in one email that contained 41 PDF attachments. Biggest single attachment was 1.9 MB. This 23 MB email immediately bounced back as undelivered due to size limitation (although I was able to send to myself no problem). I then created 5 emails labeled (1 of 5), (2 of 5), etc, and divided up my 41 PDF attachments so each email was under 5 MB in total. I prepared drafts of all 5, and sent all 5 withing 3 minutes of each other. Then, I immediately received 5 automated confirmation emails back from NVC saying they received each one. Now, I'm just waiting for the visa officer to reply.

How did this work for you? Did they give you a problem with the 5 emails? Also did you send in your 3 years of tax transcripts in the email to?

So after I sent out the 5 emails within 3 minutes, I immediately received 5 automated confirmation replies saying each email was received at NVC. Then, about 3 hours later a real person from NVC replied to 2 of the 5 emails, and told me I had sent 2 secured or password protected PDFs, and I needed to resubmit them as unsecured.

The 'secure' PDFs were 2 property appraisals which were created by the appraiser. So the next day, I printed out those 2 appraisals, and scanned the printouts and created 2 new unsecure PDFs, and emailed both together as a reply to the real person's request. I have not heard anything from NVC after that.

I originally emailed everything on February 23rd, so I'm expecting some follow up about the next step pretty soon.

I didn't send any tax transcripts. Instead, I sent 3 years of the complete tax returns. The tax transcripts would have taken too long to get from the IRS; especially since I was dealing with paper filed amended tax returns. (I originally filed electronically as single since my spouse doesn't have a SSN, and my accountant had advised electronic filing as most efficient way to deal with it overseas. In order to apply for this Immigrant Visa, I amended 2 years of tax returns to show I was indeed married, and so I needed to do a paper filing to get it done.)

Edited by clearcoated (see edit history)

So after I sent out the 5 emails within 3 minutes, I immediately received 5 automated confirmation replies saying each email was received at NVC. Then, about 3 hours later a real person from NVC replied to 2 of the 5 emails, and told me I had sent 2 secured or password protected PDFs, and I needed to resubmit them as unsecured.

The 'secure' PDFs were 2 property appraisals which were created by the appraiser. So the next day, I printed out those 2 appraisals, and scanned the printouts and created 2 new unsecure PDFs, and emailed both together as a reply to the real person's request. I have not heard anything from NVC after that.

I originally emailed everything on February 23rd, so I'm expecting some follow up about the next step pretty soon.

I didn't send any tax transcripts. Instead, I sent 3 years of the complete tax returns. The tax transcripts would have taken too long to get from the IRS; especially since I was dealing with paper filed amended tax returns. (I originally filed electronically as single since my spouse doesn't have a SSN, and my accountant had advised electronic filing as most efficient way to deal with it overseas. In order to apply for this Immigrant Visa, I amended 2 years of tax returns to show I was indeed married, and so I needed to do a paper filing to get it done.)

Thank you for sharing that, I will keep an eye out for any updates you may give. I have most of my paper work ready for when I get to that stage. I-864, tax transcript, Her and My divorce Decrees, Her birth cert,, our marriage cert,her bio page, will get police check closer to approval date. I don't know how anybody can get these into an email under 5mb and have separate attachments for each doc. Am I missing anything?

I made one PDF with the NVC's Document Cover Sheet and merged my own cover letter behind it which explained what I was sending, and how it was organized.

I sent everything listed on Document Cover Sheet except I didn't send: IRS transcripts, W-2, Adoption rec., Prison rec., Divorce rec., Military rec., as these were all Not Applicable.

Because of having no W-2, in addition to what you listed, I sent 17 financial documents as evidence for the I-864, page 6, part 7, item 2 'Use of Assets to Supplement Income' and these 17 documents related to property ownership also proved domicile in USA (because I've worked for the past 7 years in China, and will be moving back to the USA upon receiving my spouse's visa, and will be securing a new job at that future time).

I sent 3 additional documents such as my Florida driver's license which I obtained during a visit back home while living abroad, the official recording of our Chinese marriage certificate into the records at our county courthouse in FL which we also did during a visit back home, and a couple pages that featured various small photos from our USA visits - all to further prove domicile.

I sent 5 documents related to future employment such as examples from my internet job search to show potential local jobs and salaries, my resume, and I was lucky enough to get a letter stating a potential job offer upon my return with a salary range indicated.

Regarding getting everything under 5 MB, I spent a lot of time optimizing the sizes of the PDFs to get them as small as possible, but those 17 financial documents added 100's of pages.

So they don't require passport photo's now that it is done electronically? So my attachments should look something like this

NVC document sheet my cover letter explaining the attachments.

I -864 - Attachment 1

irs transcripts - Attachment 2

Marriage white book - Attachment 3

Her Divorce white book - Attachment 4

Her Birth Certificate white book - Attachment 5

Her Police clearance white book - Attachment 6

Her Bio page - Attachment 7

A file of relationship pictures and visit dates ect - Attachment 8

Do I need to sent my divorce decree ( was sent in at I-130 )

What about passport photos?

Ami I missing anything?

All I can say is I sent everything listed on Document Cover Sheet except I didn't send: IRS transcripts, W-2, Adoption rec., Prison rec., Divorce rec., Military rec., as these were all Not Applicable for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Did you have to send in passport photos and if so how do you do that with email filing?

I am having a little trouble filling out the I-864 ..On part 2 where it asks for the beneficiary telephone number the form online from the USCIS won't allow more than 10 numbers and with county code its 13 numbers is there a way to override that on the form or any suggestion. I 'm filling out the form that is good till 2017

Did you have to send in passport photos and if so how do you do that with email filing?

I am having a little trouble filling out the I-864 ..On part 2 where it asks for the beneficiary telephone number the form online from the USCIS won't allow more than 10 numbers and with county code its 13 numbers is there a way to override that on the form or any suggestion. I 'm filling out the form that is good till 2017

I sent a PDF of the .jpg of the passport photo. Perhaps it wasn't necessary, but I included the .jpg to fulfill the Document Cover Sheet checklist. We recently received our appointment time for the interview in Guangzhou, and the Consulate asked my spouse to bring an original passport photo to the interview.

For the I-864 form areas that don't allow enough space for overseas phone numbers, I used Part 11 on page 12 to write in the overseas phone numbers with a short explanation saying 11 digits plus country code couldn't to be entered. Using Part 11 is important because it allows the bar code at the bottom of the PDF page to be updated. I also hand wrote the phone numbers into those areas like Part 2 because eventually you'll need to sign the form and print it, and scan it.

Edited by clearcoated (see edit history)

I sent a PDF of the .jpg of the passport photo. Perhaps it wasn't necessary, but I included the .jpg to fulfill the Document Cover Sheet checklist. We recently received our appointment time for the interview in Guangzhou, and the Consulate asked my spouse to bring an original passport photo to the interview.

For the I-864 form areas that don't allow enough space for overseas phone numbers, I used Part 11 on page 12 to write in the overseas phone numbers with a short explanation saying 11 digits plus country code couldn't to be entered. Using Part 11 is important because it allows the bar code at the bottom of the PDF page to be updated. I also hand wrote the phone numbers into those areas like Part 2 because eventually you'll need to sign the form and print it, and scan it.

Thank you, I see that now on part 11, I read that before not sure why it didn't click for me at the time. Thanks again ! Glad to hear you have interview date..

We usually send these to NVC and they schedule interview or send Packet 4 for us to make an appointment with CGI Stanley.

1. Completed, signed I-864EZ Affidavit of Support.

(When you fill up I-864EZ, please check the expiary date on the top right corner)

2. 1040 with W2 for 2015.

3. one copy of Beneficiary's passport, 1st page.

4. Beneficiary's No Criminal Record (Police Certificate)

5. Beneficiary's Notarized birth Certificate.

6. Notarized marriage certificate.

• Like 2

I will note I-864EZ cannot be used in cases where a joint sponsor will be used, or when sponsoring more than one immigrant, and cannot be used with assets.

I am using the I-864.... I can't fit her whole address in the space they provided on form Part 2 where it asks for principal immigrants address. On new form it also ask in care of, at first I thought I should put my address in there for her when they asked that. So I guess I will have to use part 11 for that as well.

In care of has to do with mailing, typically if receive mail at someone else's address the in care of indicates that third party.

If something does not fit attach a sheet with note what form and line it pertains to.