CR1 Electronic Filing Processes

We have an approved CR1 case that is now at the NVC. The case number started with GUZ then several days later changed to a GZO prefix. The electronic process is quite confusing, and we're doing our best to muddle through it. We paid all the fees of course, but nothing is clear about what is happening. I submitted the financial paperwork to the NVC electronic address in PDF format, with the GZO bar code sheet from the NVC website on page one. The NVC acknowledged receipt several days later, and stated they were too busy dealing with terrorists and illegal aliens crossing the border to do anything more than say they would look at our financial paperwork later.

The NVC website shows that the Applicant is to start the DS-260 first, however we did that a couple of weeks after submitting the financial paperwork. Can anyone here help clarify the process?

Thanks in advance.

I've been looking for a single source of direction as the multiple sources have one thing in common; NOTHING. My wife just returned to China after a six week visit to Texas. It was a wonderful time for us and much needed after enduring two years of immigration torture. We spent a long weekend at a Dude Ranch and wife got to play wrangler, play horseshoes, feed goats, donkeys, clean horseshit, get hogtied and horsewhipped, lassoed, and blindfolded.

• Like 1

Emailing the I-864 sets off the electronic process.

Pretty much a step by step process.

1. Pay I-864 fee online
  2. Email I-864
  3. Pay Visa fee online
  4. Do DS-230 online
  5. Email documents
  6. NVC will finish and then schedule an interview
  7. Do medical
  8. Bring all documents and medical results to interview

Discussion of emailing issues at Delivery has failed to these recipients or groups:

Edited by Randy W
Link added (see edit history)

Emailing the I-864 sets off the electronic process.

Pretty much a step by step process.

1. Pay I-864 fee online
  2. Email I-864
  3. Pay Visa fee online
  4. Do DS-230 online
  5. Email documents
  6. NVC will finish and then schedule an interview
  7. Do medical
  8. Bring all documents and medical results to interview

Right, it pretty much went like that. The fees must be paid before anything else can move. I paid both the AOS Fee, which you appear to be calling the I-864 fee. That fee is currently $120.00. The second fee is the Interview fee, for $325.00. I paid both while our case number was still GUZ in late August. Then, it changed to a GZO number a couple of weeks later and I submitted the I-864 paperwork to NVC electronic mail. They acknowledged receipt of it. We had to wait for my wife to return to China before we could create another DS-260, which I think you incorrectly called the DS-230. The DS-260 is done completely only using the case number and receipt number provided by the NVC.

So, I think now we just wait for the NVC to contact us. I am not able to tell whether we should be doing anything else right now. The CEAC website has a confirmation number for the DS-260, but interestingly there was no way to attach her photo on this one. I don't know whether that's because it's already on her tourist Visa or previous filing, or whether that comes later.

I've been looking for a single source of direction as the multiple sources have one thing in common; NOTHING. My wife just returned to China after a six week visit to Texas. It was a wonderful time for us and much needed after enduring two years of immigration torture. We spent a long weekend at a Dude Ranch and wife got to play wrangler, play horseshoes, feed goats, donkeys, clean horseshit, get hogtied and horsewhipped, lassoed, and blindfolded.

That is truly outstanding to hear! Good job!

Easy to mix up the DS Numbers, DS-230 is the old paper application, DS-260 is the newer online version, same also can happen with DS-160 and DS-260 many people interchange the two when posting quiestions, I tend to quietly correct that mistake as I did in your first post in this thread "Applicant is to start the DS-160 first,..." I corrected it to DS-260...

The point is we all understand the meaning...

That is truly outstanding to hear! Good job!

Thanks Randy. There was a world champion lariat cowboy at the dude ranch and they brought my wife into the center of the show, for a lasso, hog tie and horse-whipping. It was hilarious and great fun. I will post some photos later. Wife could not stop commenting on the blue sky and clean fresh air. We also flew to Florida for a weekend to visit my daughter. The experience added at least a little uplift to the abuse the government dealt to our family.

Easy to mix up the DS Numbers, DS-230 is the old paper application, DS-260 is the newer online version, same also can happen with DS-160 and DS-260 many people interchange the two when posting quiestions, I tend to quietly correct that mistake as I did in your first post in this thread "Applicant is to start the DS-160 first,..." I corrected it to DS-260...

The point is we all understand the meaning...

Yeah, I totally get how easy it is to mix it all up. Those old paper forms are gone now, and fully replaced with the singular online form of the DS-260. Completing that form is very challenging for a couple as once it's submitted, it's not possible to go back and fix it.

http://i59.tinypic.com/2djdhjd.jpg

Edited by HotBaozi (see edit history)

Jesse, if you'll continue documenting your processing like this, I'll organize it into a pinned topic for posteriority to peruse. I'd appreciate it.

I've made several missteps as there is a lot of misinformation out there, especially from the NVC website itself. The following is a copy of the letter received via email as an attachment from the NVC a few days after I sent them a fully compiled PDF document of the I-864 and supporting evidence. Keep in mind I sent this BEFORE my wife completed the DS-260. The NVC case flow shows that the DS-260 is completed first. I don't think that matters much though as long as the DS-260 is completed within the 12-months or less they warn the couple after the case reaches the NVC. The couple is warned they must complete all paperwork in less than 12-months or the case will be returned to USCIS.

This is the form letter being provided to those who take the legal path. I am not sure what letter is provided to terrorists and illegal people who take advantage of American taxpayers.

http://i60.tinypic.com/33mn3oj.jpg

One tool for windows I found that is handy for splitting and merging PDF files is IceCream PDF split/merge http://icecreamapps.com/PDF-Split-and-Merge/Used this to consolidate I-864 and PDF files of transcripts and other attachements into single PDF file.

Doing MIL visa I got all her documents as JPG scans, I used MS Word 2013 to consolidate the various document scans into single documents and saved them as PDF

• Like 1

I am fortunate to have the full-blown version of Adobe Acrobat, which I strongly recommend to use when compiling PDF documentation. It allows a full range of copying, scanning, editing, saving, extracting pages, adding pages, saving to reduced sizes, and so on. There are alternatives like what you suggest Dan, and I have also used CutePDF in a pinch. But, also keep in mind that one can get a 30-day free trial of Adobe Acrobat just by signing up online, which should allow most folks enough time to compile a lot of stuff. If you run out of time, just sign up with another email address.

The following is a copy of a redacted cover page that must appear as page one for all electronic communication with the NVC

http://i60.tinypic.com/1zqamb7.jpg

Dealing with immigration while it attempts transitioning accepting electronic media is a very iffy deal. The NVC website provides some information about the process, but not enough to remove the smoke and fog created by government bureaucracy.

http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/Submit_documents.html

After an I-130 petition is approved by the USCIS it is sent along to the NVC for further processing and four-and twenty black birds baked in a pie. At the proper time, the AOS and IV fees should be paid, and then, the DS-260 should be submitted. This appears to be the proper sequence. However, we paid the fees and then submitted the I-864 and supporting paperwork to the NVC via email. Then, about ten days later my wife completed the DS-260 after she returned to China from her visit to the USA. I'm not sure if this is considered an out-of sequence problem, or whether the NVC overlooks it. For now, the NVC has acknowledged receiving my financial paperwork via email, but they have not acknowledged processing it yet. We are still within the 30-day window, just barely.

http://i62.tinypic.com/2lqtea.jpg
http://i62.tinypic.com/23wmfea.jpg