Passport name change and expired passports

Phillip2

My wife had a flight to China yesterday and we found out the visa inside the passport expired. However her green card doesn't match her passport last name so she didn't go after traveling 400 miles to the airport. I need to change her passport to her American name and need to know what I must do to get this done. It may cost me another road trip to Chicago to resolve but I need to get it done. I hope all I need is money to change, Chinese marriage license and hopefully translated birth certificate.

My step son who is 21 needs to renew his expired Chinese passport as well.

Any and all help I would be very thankful for.

My wife had a flight to China yesterday and we found out the visa inside the passport expired. However her green card doesn't match her passport last name so she didn't go after traveling 400 miles to the airport. I need to change her passport to her American name and need to know what I must do to get this done. It may cost me another road trip to Chicago to resolve but I need to get it done. I hope all I need is money to change, Chinese marriage license and hopefully translated birth certificate.

My step son who is 21 needs to renew his expired Chinese passport as well.

Any and all help I would be very thankful for.

As far as changing Chinese documentation to an American name, I expect you'll find that they're VERY reluctant, if not at all willing, to do that. Even if they were to allow a name change at all, Chinese names are usually required.

What you need instead is an addendum to her passport reflecting her alias - the American name. A copy of your marriage certificate, the green card, and Chinese passport are all that is required, although the passport addendum showing her married name may help clear up any misunderstandings.

Always book tickets using passport name.

My wife traveled to China with green card showing married name and passport in maiden name, no problems, and while in China she renewed passport, they would not change name in new passport, but never a problem when traveling always booked tickets showing passport name.

Later when she naturalized she got her American passport in married name.

So I think I get it

Change the airline ticket to her Chinese name and the passport and ticket gets her in China. Coming back use her passport to get her ticket again and her American name on green card will get her back in US.

Should she take our Chinese marraiage license to show the change? I spent long enough getting here and don't want any issues coming back.

• Like 1

So does she need the addendum??? because that would be a trip to Chicago to fix if they do that

It is a good idea for her to take the marriage certificate with her, in case it is needed.

Likewise, the passport addendum s a good idea, but not necessary.

Thanks for the help as I changed her ticket with her Chinese name and I am sending her there with are Chinese marriage license and permanent green card.