Not sure if this is the right place to ask the question.

My wife, naturalized USC, is going back to China for the first time in September.

She will be getting a visa in her US Passport.

The consulate makes her include her Chinese Passport with the application.

She is worried they will cancel her China ID.

Her thinking is never know when it could be useful in China.

What is everyone's experience here, is this possible.

Does China cancel ID if they know the person is now a USC?

Not sure if this is the right place to ask the question.

My wife, naturalized USC, is going back to China for the first time in September.

She will be getting a visa in her US Passport.

The consulate makes her include her Chinese Passport with the application.

She is worried they will cancel her China ID.

Her thinking is never know when it could be useful in China.

What is everyone's experience here, is this possible.

Does China cancel ID if they know the person is now a USC?

They may - but not at the consulate. By using her US passport in this way, she is notifying them that she is an American citizen and is no longer a Chinese citizen.

I'm not sure that we've heard of ANYONE actually having their Chinese ID canceled. Have her keep the passport under wraps while in China - use the Chinese ID ONLY - and she PROBABLY won't have any problem, as her citizenship won't come into question.

They for sure will cancel her Chinese passport by cutting the corner off it, but also giving it back to her too. They did not ask for the Chinese ID at all. She did need a letter if invite from the family, and thus got the 10 year visa as requested. When going back to visit, travel on the USA passport, including travel inside China, but once in China use the Chinese ID as needed just as she would have used it before when living there. Depending on length of stay, if she has the time, she can trade in her old ID and get a new one that does not expire. Wait time is about 3-4 weeks for the new Chinese ID, as of this month.