Beneficiary change of address

We filed an I-130 for my stepson 7 years ago. A visa should be available in about 10 months. Recently he learned he will have to move because the government wants the building he lives in. I was looking at the online change of address at the USCIS website but it seems to be more for if I move not him. After some serious head scratching I decided to ask here.

Not that I know of.

You might check the NOA2 - it should also have his WAC case # on it.

Just checked our son's approval form (NOA2) from 2010 - it says "The above petition has been approved. We have sent the original visa petition to the Department of State National Visa center. . . ."

Ours sat at NVC for a couple of years, until the visa number was available. Then notices were mailed to both us (at our old address) and Jingyu here in Yulin. Of course, he was married (and divorced) since (and I'm sure has no interest in going to the U.S.) - we've just let it expire.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

my_logo.png

Case Was Approved

On March 9, 2011, we approved your Form I-130, Immigrant Petition for Relative, Fiance(E), or Orphan, Receipt Number WAC0902312727. We will mail your approval notice. Please follow the instructions in the notice. If you move, go to www.uscis.gov/addresschange to give us your new mailing address.

logo_icon.jpg

my_logo.png
Case Was Approved

On March 9, 2011, we approved your Form I-130, Immigrant Petition for Relative, Fiance(E), or Orphan, Receipt Number WAC0902312727. We will mail your approval notice. Please follow the instructions in the notice. If you move, go to www.uscis.gov/addresschange to give us your new mailing address.

logo_icon.jpg

I think this form is for YOUR change of address, if you move.

You should ALSO have the approval notice (NOA2,) which I believe will tell you that it was forwarded to NVC.

• 1 month later...

It appears that my stepson won't have to move in the immediate future after all. There is a new development in his petition.

We received a NVC welcome letter (PAOSF) Friday. The case is now at NVC and has been assigned a GUZ number. They sent a list of steps needed along with a checklist of Documents.

Step 1. Chose an agent. I filled out a DS 261 on line. This will take up to 15 days to process before we can do the next step.

Step 2. Pay fees. We can't do this until NVC processes the DS 261. The only fee invoiced is $120.00 for an affidavit of support.

Step 3. Submit visa application form. I'm not sure what this is yet.

Step 4. Collect financial documents. There is a check list of financial and supporting documents but I'm not positive what's needed and what's not.

Step 5. Collect supporting documents.

Step 6 Submit documents to the NVC.

The checklist is somewhat confusing for me as I'm not sure what's redundant or applicable. there are 3 check marks, Enclosed, Unavailable and Not Applicable.

1. Document cover sheet. Self explanatory

2. Financial documents:

Affidavit of support. Self expanatory.

IRS tax transcript. I already have PDF files of our tax returns for the last 5 years. Is this still needed?

Federal Income Tax Returns.

Form W2. Is this redundant and not needed in lieu of Federal tax returns?

Evidence of income Do our tax returns cover this or is a letter from employer needed as well?

Proof of relationship I don't think this is needed since we filed a copy of his birth certificate with the I-130

Proof of US status I presume this is Not Applicable since he's in China.

Social Security Earnings Statement Not applicable since neither of us are drawing Social Security.

Proof Of Assets. I presume this is only needed if we don't have enough income to qualify.

3. Supporting Documents

Adoption Documentation Not applicable.

Birth Certificates We submitted this with the I-130, do we need to submit another?

Court and prison records. I'm assuming this is not applicable

Marriage certificate. He's never been married is a single certificate needed?

Marriage termination documents Not applicable

Military records. Not applicable

Petitioner documents Doesn't say what's needed.

Photocopy of valid passport. Self explanatory

Photographs. Not applicable?

Police certificate When to get this? I suspect it may be more than 6 months before interview.

Translations Self explanatory

Photo copies Not sure what they want here.

4. Other documents What other documents?

Thanks in advance guys. We've been waiting almost 7 years for this. I have no experience with the new electronic filing methods or what to expect from here on out.

It appears that my stepson won't have to move in the immediate future after all. There is a new development in his petition.

We received a NVC welcome letter (PAOSF) Friday. The case is now at NVC and has been assigned a GUZ number. They sent a list of steps needed along with a checklist of Documents.

Step 1. Chose an agent. I filled out a DS 261 on line. This will take up to 15 days to process before we can do the next step.

Step 2. Pay fees. We can't do this until NVC processes the DS 261. The only fee invoiced is $120.00 for an affidavit of support.

Step 3. Submit visa application form. I'm not sure what this is yet.

Step 4. Collect financial documents. There is a check list of financial and supporting documents but I'm not positive what's needed and what's not.

Step 5. Collect supporting documents.

Step 6 Submit documents to the NVC.

The checklist is somewhat confusing for me as I'm not sure what's redundant or applicable. there are 3 check marks, Enclosed, Unavailable and Not Applicable.

1. Document cover sheet. Self explanatory

2. Financial documents:

Affidavit of support. Self expanatory.

IRS tax transcript. I already have PDF files of our tax returns for the last 5 years. Is this still needed?

Federal Income Tax Returns.

Form W2. Is this redundant and not needed in lieu of Federal tax returns?

Evidence of income Do our tax returns cover this or is a letter from employer needed as well?

Proof of relationship I don't think this is needed since we filed a copy of his birth certificate with the I-130

Proof of US status I presume this is Not Applicable since he's in China.

Social Security Earnings Statement Not applicable since neither of us are drawing Social Security.

Proof Of Assets. I presume this is only needed if we don't have enough income to qualify.

3. Supporting Documents

Adoption Documentation Not applicable.

Birth Certificates We submitted this with the I-130, do we need to submit another?

Court and prison records. I'm assuming this is not applicable

Marriage certificate. He's never been married is a single certificate needed?

Marriage termination documents Not applicable

Military records. Not applicable

Petitioner documents Doesn't say what's needed.

Photocopy of valid passport. Self explanatory

Photographs. Not applicable?

Police certificate When to get this? I suspect it may be more than 6 months before interview.

Translations Self explanatory

Photo copies Not sure what they want here.

4. Other documents What other documents?

Thanks in advance guys. We've been waiting almost 7 years for this. I have no experience with the new electronic filing methods or what to expect from here on out.

The Ds-260 visa application form is now filed electronically.

Your Social Security Earnings Statement may be acquired at any time - it shows your work history, but it's not clear why this would be called for.

Tax returns with ALL accompanying forms, including W-2's OR the tax transcripts, are required.

A letter from your employer is a good idea as supporting evidence.

No single certificate is needed.

Passport photos. A handful of photos as relationship evidence is probably a good idea.

Police certificate, I believe, must be less than 6 months old at the time of the interview.

Submit photo copies, rather than originals. Be sure to submit EVERYTHING electronically, rather than by mail.

In our recent experience, ( say, April to July of this year) you should include exactly all of everything they ask for.

In addition, you should, (must in our case because they said so!) insert the electronic case number in the upper right hand corner of every document.

Also, beware the submission size limit. "Please place your case number in the subject line of the email and keep your attachments below five megabytes (MB)" Here: http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents.html

I did as they originally asked, put the case number in the subject line. 4 requests for duplicate information and 3 months later came the request "please place the case number in the upper right hand corner of each document."

come on, picture a gov't operation and a single printer with thousands of pages every day falling on the floor....

It is, and was, my personal opinion that the actual address of the beneficiary does not matter. Unless, of course, you have the passport with visa premium delivered to that address. Even then, only the delivery service needs that address, which could be anything you want.

Edited by yuehan123 (see edit history)
  • Like 1