Old Homes around Yulin

Randy, I am just fascinated by pics of old houses and ancient quarters of cities. Those pics of the gun slots are incredible, as are the bare stone walls. When I lived in China, I often explored the old sections of cities, especially the ones I lived in. Shantou, where we lived for four years, was called "Swataw" in the old days and was a busy port on the northeast coast of Guangdong. It still is. There are some fantastic old areas in Shantou and these pics remind me of those areas. Thanks so much for posting. Your photographic skills are first rate.

Edited by Mick (see edit history)

Thanks again Randy. It has been my experience, when we non residents, go to China especially the first fanticy trips they always want to show us the umpteen story shiny skyscrapers except for for Forbidden City, Temple of Heaven, etc. They are missing the entire point of touring China. Americans don't want to the brand new steel and glass skyscrapers. We want to see their rich HISTORY. I know that they are proud of China's accomplishments and there is nothing wrong with that. But heck I don't want to see a bunch of steel and glass 100 stories high buildings. The Chinese government seems bent on tearing down every single ancient structure in China and building a new city or erasing every hint of it's history, in Beijing at least, of the past and replace them with skyscrapers to show off how prosperous and first world they have become. What a shame. Liren's father feels just like I do.

I appreciate your pictures so much because if it weren't for them I would never see those places. As you know my wife does not ever intend on returning to China. Perhaps for a family emergency of something. I don't know if she would go then. So that is why I appreciate seeing your pictures so much.

Thank you for taking the time to do so. I know that it takes time to post them.

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 5 years later...

Xielu Villa(谢鲁山庄) is located in Luchuan County, Yulin City, #Guangxi and was built in 1916. It is one of the four most well-preserved private manor houses in China.
Its #architectural style is in accordance with the features of gardens in the south of the Yangtze River. #history

from Discover Guangxi China on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/DiscoverGuangxi/photos/a.130836485155723/645190463720320/

Xielu Discover Guangxi.jpg