Preliminary approval, need statement from co-sponsor

Hey all,

My wife had her interview yesterday (May 13) and was preliminarily approved on the condition that we submit the original I-864 and I-864A from my parents instead of the scanned copies I had so foolishly assumed would be exempt from the 'all original document' rule. Oops!

The officer also asked us to 'Submit a statement, written by your cosponsor, explaining why he/she is willing to agree to sign your affidavit of support form' and wrote 'Original' next to the bullet point. Since this is the first time my wife and I have heard of such a requirement, we are a little confused as to what exactly they want. A simple signed letter with a short explanation? A notarized statement with specific details delineating exactly why? Something in between?

As always, your guidance is greatly appreciated!

Hey all,

My wife had her interview yesterday (May 13) and was preliminarily approved on the condition that we submit the original I-864 and I-864A from my parents instead of the scanned copies I had so foolishly assumed would be exempt from the 'all original document' rule. Oops!

The officer also asked us to 'Submit a statement, written by your cosponsor, explaining why he/she is willing to agree to sign your affidavit of support form' and wrote 'Original' next to the bullet point. Since this is the first time my wife and I have heard of such a requirement, we are a little confused as to what exactly they want. A simple signed letter with a short explanation? A notarized statement with specific details delineating exactly why? Something in between?

As always, your guidance is greatly appreciated!

'Submit a statement, written by your cosponsor, explaining why he/she is willing to agree to sign your affidavit of support form' - seems to be clearly a little extra hoop for you to jump through, with a little bit of nose-rubbing. Yes, it IS unique, but there's not really a whole lot to be confused about, nor is there any room for them to reject whatever you submit. Notarization is NOT required.

Just get it done!

• Like 1