Posted this here away from prying eyes

Would your wife be against bribing one of the officials that is in charge of the birth certificate.  I am sure she can find a friend or someone who knows who is in charge of such things and get the certificate anyway.  After living there for 3 years I can tell you if you know the right people then anyting is possible, just ask a couple of other guys on here.

Oh gosh, I have suggested this to my wife in more ways than 1, but either she doesnt understand what i am saying, or she doesnt understand how to go about this. I am not sure.

Lots of great suggestions guys, If anyone has anymore suggestions, please feel free to post. I am digesting all my options now. I have faith that we will somehow beat this bump in the road, but it is oh so tiring.

Patrick

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My advice would be to say screw the father, go to the nearest GZC and have them cook up a certified document of his birth.  My fiancee never had a birth certificate.  She went to the GZC, he threw something together with her picture in it, and bam!,  one certificate of live birth.  This is neither illegal nor expensive.  It shouldn't take more than a day or two.

What is a GZC?

Patrick :D

My advice would be to say screw the father, go to the nearest GZC and have them cook up a certified document of his birth.  My fiancee never had a birth certificate.  She went to the GZC, he threw something together with her picture in it, and bam!,  one certificate of live birth.  This is neither illegal nor expensive.  It shouldn't take more than a day or two.

What is a GZC?

Patrick :D

GZC = Gong Zheng Chu (notarial office)

Ok, maybe this is a stretch. Go to where ever the son was born and whatever official agency handles birth certificates. No idea what what might be, however a bunch of RMB would solve it quickly.

In other words, bypass the father. Just an idea

Guest hakkamike

Just remember one thing guys, at our AOS interview they wanted to see that my wife did have full custody of the twins, just a thought for the future, so there may be little bit more than just getting a birth certificate .

Later, Michael Perez

Guest Long_strider

It is relatively easy to go to the GZC and obtain a prepared birth certificate as well as an English translation. The cost is relatively small.

The real difficulty is to address the issue of custody of the minor child. If there is joint custody, I understand that the divorce decree with status of child custody is needed and if father shares joint custody a statment is needed from the father. I understand that the GZ consulate will ask for such a statement.

Li might wish to consult with an attorney to see about legal options for obtaining full custody.

This from the GZ website

http://www.usembassy-china.org.cn/guangzho...u/iv/kvfaq.html

K-1 Frequently Asked

What documents should I bring to the visa interview?

The applicant should bring the following original documents:

Forms in the appointment packet

Chinese passport

Application fee receipt

Four visa photos attached to forms DS-156

Notarial birth certificate

Notarial marital status certificate. If divorced before, previous divorce certificates for each marriage are required. If any child from previous marriage will also apply for visa, a divorce decree showing the child's custody is needed.

Notarial police certificates are required from each visa applicant aged 16 or over issued by his/her local municipal notary office where he/she has resided for at least six months since attaining the age of sixteen. Police certificates are also required from all other countries where the applicant has resided for at least one year.

This is also a good site to read in detail about bring a child over.

http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/child.htm

Long_strider

Oh gosh, I have suggested this to my wife in more ways than 1, but either she doesnt understand what i am saying, or she doesnt understand how to go about this. I am not sure.

Lots of great suggestions guys, If anyone has anymore suggestions, please feel free to post. I am digesting all my options now. I have faith that we will somehow beat this bump in the road, but it is oh so tiring.

Patrick

Take the chinese residence card(hu kou ben-chinese pronunciation)to the GZC(gong zheng chu-chinese pronunciation) to ask for the Birth Notarial Certificate.Then according to the residence card,the office will give you a document like this :

This is to certify that xxx,male/female,was born on xxxx,xxxx in xx City, xxProvince, her/his father's name is xxx.

Notary:xxx

xx Notary Public Office

ThebPeople's Republic of China

xxxx,xxxx

The real difficulty is to address the issue of custody of the minor child.  If there is joint custody, I understand that the divorce decree with status of child custody is needed and if father shares joint custody a statment is needed from the father.  I understand that  the GZ consulate will ask for such a statement.

Li might wish to consult with an attorney to see about legal options for obtaining full custody.

I'm only guessing here, but if Li was already approved for her visa and the only thing lacking was the son's passport, then the issue of custody might never come up.

The real difficulty is to address the issue of custody of the minor child.  If there is joint custody, I understand that the divorce decree with status of child custody is needed and if father shares joint custody a statment is needed from the father.  I understand that  the GZ consulate will ask for such a statement.

I'm only guessing here, but if Li was already approved for her visa and the only thing lacking was the son's passport, then the issue of custody might never come up.

Remember this is the Government they have a check list and instead of telling you everything that is wrong they stop at the first bad check then once it is resolved they move to the next bad check. Remember DOS= Does One-thing Slowly

Yes, After spending all day reading the possibilities. I have come to the conclusion that either my wife will leave her son behind or we will go to court and sue the Father for back Child support. He cannot pay, I am sure of this. Then maybe we can exact leverage on him to sign the needed paperwork. Unfortuantely, this will take a long time, unless of course the Father gets anxious and agrees before we ever make it to court. That is what i am praying for.

Patrick

Patrick,

You might consider flying to China to be with Li and give her some support through these next few weeks. Perhaps you could talk to the EX together.

Try to be nice first and show your good side and the good family the kid will be in. If that doesn't work, then go for the lawsuit. Perhaps just starting the process would be enough. Even if it takes a while, it will be shorter than waiting 8 years to see your stepson again.

----- Clifford -----

Yes, After spending all day reading the possibilities. I have come to the conclusion that either my wife will leave her son behind or we will go to court and sue the Father for back Child support. He cannot pay, I am sure of this. Then maybe we can exact leverage on him to sign the needed paperwork. Unfortuantely, this will take a long time, unless of course the Father gets anxious and agrees before we ever make it to court. That is what i am praying for.

Patrick

I think this is your best option Patrick. Some of the ideas floating around are illegal or ludicrouis. Get some leverage on him for back child support then offer him a bribe but at the same time give him a face saving out. We all know how much saving face means in China.

Patrick,

Brutal update and I am sorry for you guys. Coincidently a similiar thing just happened to me but luckily it was before the interview. We have been attempting to get get custody papers from the father. He will then he won;t etc. Finally he agrees and goes to the office to sign and changes his mind again and walks out.

In our case the father eventualy said he was concerned that I was going to get them to America and sell them. Yes, sell the mother and daughter. I feel that Chinese woman are not the best at overcomming issues like this and I felt I should direct Mei to ask her brother to meet with the father. I feel that this is not commonly done in China. Chinese people don't stick their nose in other people business often, specialy if it involves a male. OK, so it turns out he real issue comes to light. When married the Mei;s parents gave them a small apartment. Mei had to give half to him for the divorce and the other half was given to... the daughter. He wanted the other half, then he would sign the paper.

Badda boom. I think it revolves around money. The son would likely be the father form of social security later in his life. I think a buy-off is in order. I think the offer should be made by a male, does she have a brother or uncle? I would suggest a male take him out, feed him, get him drunk, listen to his bull**** and let the money issue come up.

Just my sense of things based on my situation.

Louis