Long processing times at Nat'l Visa Center Portsmouth, N.H.

Got this today from them-

"The National Visa Center (NVC) received your documents on (last week).

We are currently receiving an increased number of approved petitions from U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. As a result, we are experiencing increased review times for documents received.

We expect it will be at least 60 days from the date we received your mail before we complete the review of your documents. We will notify you when we review your documents.

We are working to reduce these processing times and we appreciate your patience."

Good luck to everybody.

• 2 weeks later...

As I am still waiting for an nvc case number, today being 2 months since the NOA2 date, I called several times today. The second person I got said she, too, had no info for me but advised me to send an email with the NOA2 attached to:

nvcresearch@state.gov

explaining the long wait since, according to her, 2 months is too long without processing.

Just thought I would add that bit to this thread. VJ is a "great resource" but it is becoming more difficult to find the nuggets of necessary info among the chaff, Yep, mixing metaphors probably.

Edited by Greg.D. (see edit history)

Of course, you will get that recording 20 times before you get a ring ... just want to be sure you know that. But, you're probabky a pro. I saw your first post re the 60 day wait and I thought "well, that's how it is now".

Then checking the VJ timelines it appears that many applications are being turned around in two weeks still. Will post again if I have any hard information to offer

Sorry to bear bad news, but 60 days - 2 months has been right on track for our case.

I called on the visa for my wife's son right at 73 days.

The response was not one had looked at it yet. Give them 2 more weeks.

We got a request for additional information right at 84 days.

I sent 3-23. It took two weeks just to get the email they had received the documents.

Today I finally got the email with confirmation of interview.

This is all for a front of the line, no-wait visa.

No wait?? What do you call 8 months of processing?

Started by Agent Selection back 10-21-14. Just now getting interview letter.

Edited by C4Racer (see edit history)

When they get a backlog and start scrambling to catch up, the time line estimates they give are at best just that -estimates. Sometimes they run way past that estimate. It reminds me in at least a small way of the Black Hole era that was the catalyst that brought Candle for Love into existence. To give you an example, my wife passed her interview on August 20, 2002. She was told that due to rule changes, she could not pick up her visa but it would only be a short delay, somewhere around two weeks, thirty days tops. For the record, we picked up her visa on March 10, 2003. At least in the current situation, the longer processing times simply seem to be from a flood of applicants, staff shortages, and related themes. As Tsap said, be patient and this too shall pass. I would not pay much attention, however, to their estimates of how long it might take. I know that is tough to swallow and it shouldn't be that way, but my guess is that is how it is.

I followed some links two weeks ago, or so, and ended up with this called ASK NVC!:

http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/contact/ask-nvc.html

I did ask them. The reply I got today said: "We received the 'blah-blah' document. However, we are still waiting for the response to the checklist letter for the Immigrant Visa Application or civil documentation. Please return the requested information so that we may complete the processing."

Oh, brother, I already sent them the checklist cover sheet and all requested documents along with the document they admit they have received. Maybe one hand really doesn't know what the other hand is doing. In each case, they acknowledge receipt of some attached .pdf documents, but not all of them. I usually cc: myself and have opened all sent attached documents on each e-mail.

Same decision/dilemma as C4Racer just went through. Send it again, reset a 60 day clock. Don't send it and wait 'forever.' Called 32 times so far today.

I called again yesterday which was 68 days after the NOA2 was sent.

They said yep, it was entered today - no talk about how long it was there. Gave me my NVC case #.

Then, today, it went from “Your search did not return any data.” to "Ready" within 24 hours.

I could complain but I did not get any extended processing, for instance. Just glad for what it is.

But, it was a real "gulp moment" for both of us!

• 5 weeks later...

I submitted the actual visa application with all required forms as attachments to NVC on April 15. Multiple requests from them and re-submittals by me for forms already sent on April 15, I got this today, June 17:

"All documentation necessary to complete the National Visa Center's processing of your case has been received. As soon as an interview date has been scheduled, the applicant, petitioner and attorney (if applicable) will be notified."

They initially stated, give us 60 days to process. Later, during each subsequent document submittal they stated, give us 45 days to review this, we'll get back to you. Last document submittal was May 12th.

No interview scheduled yet, but the system slogs along.

p.s. I called as often as every day. Never got through. "Due to extremely high call volume...."