I-864 (or I-864EZ) & "Foreign" Income

Did some searching and while there is a lot about foreign earned income, my situation is a bit different. For the past few years i have been temporarily working in China for a US company and still get paid by them in USD. On my W2 it shows total wages which is well above the poverty threshhold. However, on my IRS 1040 Adjusted Gross Income is below the threshhold because the income is claimed as foreign income (due to my being out of the US for the entire period). Not sure about the specifics of how this works, as my company hires KPMG to do our taxes for us.

Question is, can this be explained by my wife in the interview by showing both my W2 and the additional forms included in my return showing the foreign income? Also, which amount should I enter when filling out the i-864? The intructions state to use the amount from the 1040 form shown as Adjusted Gross Income, but that amount is not reflective of the true situation.

Use total income not adjusted income unless you filed 1040EZ which most people do not, your returns should be standard 1040 returns 1040EZ tends to be used by simple tax filers.

My total income (adjusted gross income on IRS Form 1040EZ) as reported on my Federal tax return for the most recent 3 years was:

I-864 Page 6

Also your income should continue once you move back to the states? This is what the I-864 really concerns, and should be explained to the interviewing officer.

Did some searching and while there is a lot about foreign earned income, my situation is a bit different. For the past few years i have been temporarily working in China for a US company and still get paid by them in USD. On my W2 it shows total wages which is well above the poverty threshhold. However, on my IRS 1040 Adjusted Gross Income is below the threshhold because the income is claimed as foreign income (due to my being out of the US for the entire period). Not sure about the specifics of how this works, as my company hires KPMG to do our taxes for us.

Question is, can this be explained by my wife in the interview by showing both my W2 and the additional forms included in my return showing the foreign income? Also, which amount should I enter when filling out the i-864? The intructions state to use the amount from the 1040 form shown as Adjusted Gross Income, but that amount is not reflective of the true situation.

The I-864 is a stand-alone form which goes on file to document your ability to support your wife. Follow the directions when filling out his form, but it is YOUR responsibility to provide a true picture of your financial situation. If the I-864 falls short in this regard, be sure to include a separate statement showing your actual income. DO NOT rely on any verbal explanation.

• Like 1

The I-864 is a stand-alone form which goes on file to document your ability to support your wife. Follow the directions when filling out his form, but it is YOUR responsibility to provide a true picture of your financial situation. If the I-864 falls short in this regard, be sure to include a separate statement showing your actual income. DO NOT rely on any verbal explanation.

thanks. after reviewing the 1040, my "total income" still shows a reduced number omitting foreign income. I will write up an explanation showing the full figures.

I do have a contract from my company showing I will return back to the office there in the US once my time is up here so that will show income continuing.

thanks. after reviewing the 1040, my "total income" still shows a reduced number omitting foreign income. I will write up an explanation showing the full figures.

I do have a contract from my company showing I will return back to the office there in the US once my time is up here so that will show income continuing.

That's even better - THAT wouldn't show on the I-864 at all, but will probably be MUCH more helpful to your case.