Hey everyone,
The wife and I are planing to fly back to China for the entire month of May. We were looking at flights from JFK to Hong Kong, stay in HK for a few days before going by bus to the Mainland where we'll be spending most of the trip, then leaving from HK to come back to the States. My question is which visa to apply for? The embassy website shows, of course, the L visa, but the Q1 visa shows as an option for foreigners who have family in China who are Chinese citizens (parents-in-law included in the qualifying list). I was wondering if any of you have chosen one Q1, or am I mistaken that we qualify for that visa?

Also, I'm wondering about flying into HK with our outbound date 30 days later? Will that be a problem for my wife? The reason we're flying into HK is so that we can do a few days of touring around. I know they put restrictions on Mainlanders. When I flew over for her interview, we both flew out from HK, but it was no problem because we weren't staying and had an outbound flight ticket in hand.

Thanks for your help, as always!

Tom and Ling

The Q1 visa will allow you a single entry to apply for a residence permit within 30 days of arrival. The Q2 will allow longer stays (up to 180 days) than the L visa.

The consulate will decide which is appropriate for your plans (probably the L visa).

I believe the outbound flight ticket will allow your wife to stay in Hong Kong for up to 7 days.

Also when you do apply request a 10 year one, so you wont have to apply for others for future trips.

I agree, as Randy has stated, if you fill out the Visa form for a 30 day stay and you send your r/t airline tickets as supporting documents the Consulate will, in all likelihood, only give you a 30 day L Visa.

If you want the option of Multiple entries and stays greater than 30 days good for ten years then you should specifically request Ten years.

One option is to apply for the family relationship Q2 visa. However, even a L visa may be issued for ten years.

Requirements for the Q2 may include:

1. a written letter of invitation. Some Consulates, such as Houston do not accept the standard example form letter.

2. A copy of the inviters local ID.

3. In my case, a copy of our marriage license.

4. For some consulates, Houston for example, and depending on where you live, a copy of your driver's license.

For the Q2 and for a ten year Visa (either Q2 or L) make sure to request both in Section 2.2 "Intended Number of Entries." It is helpful to request the Q2 Ten year Visa in that section.

When applying for the Q2 ten year visa you do not need airline tickets and I would recommend requesting 120 days to make sure you don't get only 30 days.

I believe my wife and I would qualify for Q2 visas due to my wife"s sister living in Guilin.

I got the Q2 because my wife still lives in China. Not sure how the in-law thing would make a Q visa, but maybe...

Ok, Ok. I'll spell it out. My wife does not live in China. My wife (from China) is a US Citizen. Therefore, the presumption is that she can neither invite herself nor me.

Our inviter was her father, my in-law and therefore meeting the 'family relationship' requirement of the Q1 or Q2.

In December 2014 we each were granted 120 day, multiple entry, Q2 Visas good for ten years.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your help, everyone! I visited the China visa office in DC today. I got the 10 yr multiple entry visitor visa, and my wife got her Hong Kong entry permit/visa for 2 entry up to a 14 day stay. The only questionable thing was on my wife's application for the HK entry was that her passport is signed in Chinese, but she signed the application in English. The agent said it may not be a problem and would contact me by phone if it was a problem. So, I can pick up the visas this Friday. The process at the office was smooth. Workers were friendly and helpful.

If you go back to pick up the visa on Friday, how do you know, for certain, what you got? Please provide a little more detail after you have your passport back in hand. Is your Visa the standard visitor "L" or is it family based "Q." Your description of 'visitor' visa seems generic.

Also, how many days each entry? What type of proof did you provide?

Thanks

I had to renew my passport this year so i then i needed to get a new visa.

I got Q2 ten year with 180 days stay.

I had my sister in law write the invite for me.

marriage cert sent.

sister in laws local ID sent.

10 year passport - 10 year visa.

I'm done for a long time.

Going to Chongqing in 5 weeks.

Edited by NUWORLD (see edit history)
  • Like 1

The agent said it was a "visitor visa" when I applied Tuesday. Friday I was issued a 10 year mutliple entry Q2 visa with 120 day stay. I had my brother-in-law do the invite letter. What I gave the agent was my visa app, the invite letter from my brother-in-law with a copy of his ID, copies of previous visas from my old passport (just got a new passport, so I had no visas in that one), copy of flight intinerary. I didn't give a copy of my marriage certificate. Maybe the marriage certificate would have boosted the durattion of the stay, but with 120, I'm not complaining :)

Edited by Tom2009 (see edit history)