Any tips for resume please

Hello everyone!

This is Catherine asking for help again. I'm not sure if "Classfields" is the right place for me to turn to but I do need some tips for writing a decent resume. I've never submitted any resumes and I've never looked for a job in China. I'm not so sure with the modern criteria for submitting resume online. I've worked for almost 30 years in China. So my resume may have to take more than one page. I know you guys have ever helped your Chinese wife with the resume stuff online. I think you may have some good ideas that I was kept in dark. Please take some time and type some tips for me here. I'd appreciate a lot! Have a good evening, everyone!

Hi Catherine, How are you? I hope you had great Spring Festival Holiday. As a teacher are still off from school? Writing a good resume can be a good step toward getting the job you want. It is the first glance where the employer will have a look at you. It can be very important how you present yourself. Resumes are normally done in two in parts. The cover letter and the resume. Even though you have more than 30 years experiences many people will say that you try to keep the resume to one page in length. If you can access google here are two links two of example resumes. I did a google search for" resume for a teacher" and " resume for a college level teacher." And at the top of the page that I got I pasted below. You should click on word images. That will give you many samples. I have a resume but it is over 30 years old. I have updated it over the years but I really haven't needed to use it. I have had the same job for about 30 years. Here is a list of resume writing tips. Perhaps other can add and correct it:

1. It should be well written and neat.

2. It should be truthful. ( often some of your info will be verified)

3. Keep it relatively short.

4. Supply the important info.

5. The HR people may get 100's of resumes for a job, ask yourself what will make your stand out and be noticed.

6. You should try to make that your resume is one of the resumes that is chosen to be put in "to be considered" group.

Not sure what kind of job you are looking for. I hope this help some. I am sure others out there must have resume submitting experiences. Good luck. Danb

http://search.whiteskyservices.com/results/?pid=21&wstoken=0&dtid=1&searchparam=resume%20for%20a%20teacher&category=images

http://search.whiteskyservices.com/results/?pid=21&wstoken=0&dtid=1&searchparam=resume%20for%20a%20teacher&category=images

Edited by danb (see edit history)

Thank you Danb, this is so helpful to me!!!!!!!!!!!!! I do need these resume samples. I'm at Broken Arrow Ok now. America is such a hardknock school for me that I have to be tough and strong. But unfortunately I didn't have any knowledge looking for a job. Initially I'll be happy still being a teacher but who knows, what will happen to be? I'll be grateful ending up cleaning bathroom for people.

Catherine, looking for a job can be a difficult for anyone. Joecy's website might be a good resource in looking for a job. She has an interesting and a great site. There you will find many fellow women who have a shared experiences in the US. You also might want to get in contact with the local or state government agency. Check out their websites. I am not sure but I think if you go to the state employment office they may be able to direct to agencies that may be able to assist you. They may provide some services to you. Services like resume writing, interview skills, skills assessment, job data bases, job searching,support groups???, etc. My state offers some of these service. I used them about 30 years. Things might have changed since then and the services may vary state to state but it may be a good place to start. Danb

PS, your choice of selection of the classified section is a very logical one to put your post. Initially I thought it was a little odd, but if we are looking for a job where do we go? The classifieds!! But it is down at the end of the page, perhaps you may get more people to see if it had you post to the Members Only... Our Stories section. Just a suggestion.

Thank you Danb, this is so helpful to me!!!!!!!!!!!!! I do need these resume samples. I'm at Broken Arrow Ok now. America is such a hardknock school for me that I have to be tough and strong. But unfortunately I didn't have any knowledge looking for a job. Initially I'll be happy still being a teacher but who knows, what will happen to be? I'll be grateful ending up cleaning bathroom for people.

Broken Arrow, OK? I just came back from there last week. I visited FlightSafety which is next to the 3 water towers on top of the big hill at Kenosha (71st) and I forget the cross street. L-3 is there also, but I messed that up real good last year. I stayed in the Holiday Inn off the 51 highway.

Well, I cleaned the toilets or floors every time I am out of work and looking for something better. I am not sure how you can teach in the USA, but I have seen where your education in China is accepted in the USA. So, don't discount yourself. Must be a way to get a teaching certificate without going back to school.

I was in the mood for Chinese. There were 3 little Asian food places near, on 71st. They all closed at 9, so I had to go back to Tulsa to eat at another little one open until 10. So, many Asian restaurants have no Mu Su Pork or Mu Shu anything but that is OK.

Well, you guys are a big comfort to me. These days I"ve been low. I first arrived at Boise and stayed there for two weeks. Now I've settled at Broken Arrow OK for six days. I've already bought a car, met some friends at Broken Arrow. But I found my English is still not enough. It's a small city, very easy to drive for beginners, which is good. I've not started looking for a job. I only did teachinbg job in my life. My life experience is too simple. I'm afraid I can't do anything more to make a living. Broken Arrow is a small city. I'm not sure how many univerisites there are in this town or city. I only know universities don't need teahching certificate. Only high school or elementary school require teaching certificate.

Dough, I went to a Chinese restaurant at the Arrow. Their cooking is much like Chinese flavor from Chinese food. I've been to other Chinese restaurnt in other cities. Their Chinese food tastes like American food. I'm hoping to have some Chinese friends at Broken Arrow.

Thank you, Randy, for taking the time to make the forum tidy and neat. I'll forget the "Classfields".

Thank you, Danb, for your suggestions and resume samples. I'm learning.

have a good day, everyone!

Catherine

In Broken Arrow: Right on Kenosha (71st Street) is a college or university of some sort. They have a huge Christmas light display every year, just ask. Very near those 3 little Chinese restaurants, I think.

So, your right next door to Tulsa, (and I googled up a lot):

University Language Institute (near ORU I think)

The University of Tulsa ( I hear their football played on the radio)

The University School for Gifted and Talented Children

Tulsa Community College

Oral Roberts University (ORU) (private, religious & on the West side of Tulsa)

Oklahoma State University Center for Health Sciences (Downtown Tulsa, I see it off Hwy 75)

Oklahoma State University - Tulsa

Career Point College

Vatterott College Tulsa

Platt College - Tulsa Campus

Community Care College

Phillips Theological Seminary

Tulsa Technology Center-Riverside Campus (Tulsa)

Clary Sage College

Spartan College of Aeronautics and Technology

Tulsa Welding School (who knows)

Anyway there are more. Tulsa is pretty conservative and people drive pretty slow, so that is good for you I suppose.

Everything in Tulsa is kind of small, except maybe ORU campus. Several technical schools because of the aerospace companies in the Tulsa area.

For the large ones:

You have to get over to Norman, OK to be around The University of Oklahoma.

Oklahoma State University is in a small town, Stillwater, OK.

Edited by Doug (see edit history)

Hi Catherine, Like Doug I am a big "Googlier." I like to say that Google is my friend. It can be a great resource. BUT, I also say that info found on the internet should always" be taken with a grain salt." But I still like to say Google is my friend. So I found an interesting ad.See below please: Not sure if you would be interested in something like this. It might help you "get your foot in the door. " Who knows it might"open some doors for you". The job was listed on several different sites. Looks like the City of Jenks might be near to you. The job was posted not too long ago so may it is not filled yet. I hope you know that we all wish the best for you. WELCOME TO AMERICA!! Danb

• Chinese Language Teacher
    Adplace Solutions - Tulsa, OK

Jenks Public Schools seeks Chinese language teacher for 5 & 6 grade. Prepare course objectives & outline for course of study following curriculum guidelines or requirements of...

23 days ago from TheJobNetwork
Edited by danb (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Hello everyone!

This is Catherine asking for help again. I'm not sure if "Classfields" is the right place for me to turn to but I do need some tips for writing a decent resume. I've never submitted any resumes and I've never looked for a job in China. I'm not so sure with the modern criteria for submitting resume online. I've worked for almost 30 years in China. So my resume may have to take more than one page. I know you guys have ever helped your Chinese wife with the resume stuff online. I think you may have some good ideas that I was kept in dark. Please take some time and type some tips for me here. I'd appreciate a lot! Have a good evening, everyone!

I too have over 30 years experience, and my resume is 2 pages.

I paid a professional resume writer to produce it, and I compare it to my own resume before the professional and it is much better.

Resumes have 2 different content, and perhaps it depends on your industry, I am not sure.

My original resume was a historical account of jobs I had, and my assignments in those positions.

The professional written resume focused much more of specific things I did in the position that showed I was excellent at that job.

I would be happy to send you a copy of mine as a reference if you pm me.

I am a software developer, so maybe it has no value to you as a teach.

Hello everyone!

I too have over 30 years experience, and my resume is 2 pages.

I paid a professional resume writer to produce it, and I compare it to my own resume before the professional and it is much better.

Resumes have 2 different content, and perhaps it depends on your industry, I am not sure.

My original resume was a historical account of jobs I had, and my assignments in those positions.

The professional written resume focused much more of specific things I did in the position that showed I was excellent at that job.

I would be happy to send you a copy of mine as a reference if you pm me.

I am a software developer, so maybe it has no value to you as a teach.

I went through the same thing - I always listed my job history in chronological order (current job first). But yes, the longer your resume gets, the more you need to very concisely list (and emphasize) your specific talents and experience. Someone sorting through resumes at an employer's HR department needs to very quickly pick out a pile of resumes that may be worth a closer look. The less time he has to spend hunting through your resume for the details he wants, the more likely it is that yours will catch his eye.

I have known plenty of people who had two or more resumes that would target specific employers and areas of expertise.

Hiring a professional is a good idea. Even if you prefer your own version, you might pick up a few pointers from what they do.

I hire 20-30 people every year, and to accomplish that task I will have to review 1000's of resumes to narrow down to those that will be scheduled for an interview.

The most important part, Keep it to ONE page.

Bullet points only. Where you worked and how long you worked there.

Resumes I throw out immediately:

Books with tons of extra garbage included.

Job Hoppers (people that have had 10 different jobs in 10 years) If they didnt stay at one of the previous jobs for more than a year, why would they stay here If I hire.

Resumes with large gaps in time. Example: Worked Job A from 1999 - 2005, Job B 2009 - Present. Ok what happened in the 4 year gap?

Not updated, these get tossed in phone screens when I schedule interviews. "I see you are currently working at XYZ company?" Answer "No, I need to update my resume, I currently work for or I am currently unemployed". Good bye is my normal response. If you dont care to update your resume, you don't really want a job.

Good luck in your search.