I-130 Filed in Guangzhou - My Experience

Figured I would share my experience in case anyone is curious as to the process once in Guangzhou.

I took the metro/subway (Line 3, Zhujiang New Town stop) and the consulate is directly across the street from the B-1 exit. You will be facing the consulate as you walk out of the exit.

I flew in that morning and my return flight was the same evening, so I had no hotel or place to store my electronics during my appointment (they are not allowed in the consulate). I had a few hours before my appointment, so did some exploring. I can confirm there are no grocery stores with lockers in the area for storing items. I also tried a few hotels and they all refused to hold items for non guests. There is a newspaper/drink/snack stand directly next to the consulate (and also directly across from the B-1 exit) that will hold your items for you and issue you a receipt showing what they are holding. They charged me 30 rmb. I was a bit nervous about this with my new iphone and ipad (hence the search for an alternative) but after seeing about 15 people use the service figured they were OK to use. No problems in the end.

My appointment was scheduled for 2:30 and I headed back to the consulate around 1:45. In front of the consulate there were crowds of local Chinese waiting to go inside. I took my paper showing my appointment time to the security guards, and they let me pass without having to wait in the line. I then had to be let into the building by another guard who looked like he matched my passport up with his list of scheduled appointments (not sure what they do if you are a walk in). I passed through a security check/scan and then had to go into another building and up to the 3F where USCIS is located.

There were about 8-10 people sitting and waiting and I took my appointment confirmation directly to the window, where they took my passport, and asked me to take a seat and wait to be called. After about 5 minutes of waiting they called my name and directed me to a room where I sat with an immigration officer across from me. She then took all of my documentation (both copies and originals). For the copies she verified against the originals, stamped the copies, and then initialed/signed the copies. After making sure all was in order and returning the original documents, she gave me an invoice and asked me to take it to the cashier, pay, and bring back. The cashier was located on the 2nd floor, I paid, and then brought the receipt back to the 3rd floor. The gentlemen at the window took my receipt, gave all the documents a final lookover, and told me to expect a physical response to be sent within 60 days. I mentioned to him that I filed the form for e-notification. He told me they still send the physical notification and that the email actually gets sent by the visa center once they get notified of the approval.

And that was it. I was done by 2:25 which was before my actual appointment time. Documents I submitted to them:

- Cover letter

- g-1145 e-notification

- g-325a for myself with passport photo attached

- g-325a for the wife with passport photo attached

- i-130

- copy of my passport (entire thing)

- copy of wife's passport (photo page)

- marriage certificate notarization and translation (white book, i submit both mine and hers though i've seen only one is needed)

- wife's birth certificate notarization and translation (white book)

- photos of wedding and various trips we have taken together, as well as screen prints of us posting photos on facebook along with family/friend comments

- emails from family/friends to both of us regarding trips we took home and our wedding

- letters from friends who attended the wedding stating how long they have known each of us and that they attended our wedding

• Like 2

Good luck in the process! Please keep us updated with how everything goes! Based on following along here on Candle, I think everything looks good. Saved your write-up for future reference. Good luck! Dan~

Figured I would share my experience in case anyone is curious as to the process once in Guangzhou.

I took the metro/subway (Line 3, Zhujiang New Town stop) and the consulate is directly across the street from the B-1 exit. You will be facing the consulate as you walk out of the exit.

I flew in that morning and my return flight was the same evening, so I had no hotel or place to store my electronics during my appointment (they are not allowed in the consulate). I had a few hours before my appointment, so did some exploring. I can confirm there are no grocery stores with lockers in the area for storing items. I also tried a few hotels and they all refused to hold items for non guests. There is a newspaper/drink/snack stand directly next to the consulate (and also directly across from the B-1 exit) that will hold your items for you and issue you a receipt showing what they are holding. They charged me 30 rmb. I was a bit nervous about this with my new iphone and ipad (hence the search for an alternative) but after seeing about 15 people use the service figured they were OK to use. No problems in the end.

My appointment was scheduled for 2:30 and I headed back to the consulate around 1:45. In front of the consulate there were crowds of local Chinese waiting to go inside. I took my paper showing my appointment time to the security guards, and they let me pass without having to wait in the line. I then had to be let into the building by another guard who looked like he matched my passport up with his list of scheduled appointments (not sure what they do if you are a walk in). I passed through a security check/scan and then had to go into another building and up to the 3F where USCIS is located.

There were about 8-10 people sitting and waiting and I took my appointment confirmation directly to the window, where they took my passport, and asked me to take a seat and wait to be called. After about 5 minutes of waiting they called my name and directed me to a room where I sat with an immigration officer across from me. She then took all of my documentation (both copies and originals). For the copies she verified against the originals, stamped the copies, and then initialed/signed the copies. After making sure all was in order and returning the original documents, she gave me an invoice and asked me to take it to the cashier, pay, and bring back. The cashier was located on the 2nd floor, I paid, and then brought the receipt back to the 3rd floor. The gentlemen at the window took my receipt, gave all the documents a final lookover, and told me to expect a physical response to be sent within 60 days. I mentioned to him that I filed the form for e-notification. He told me they still send the physical notification and that the email actually gets sent by the visa center once they get notified of the approval.

And that was it. I was done by 2:25 which was before my actual appointment time. Documents I submitted to them:

- Cover letter

- g-1145 e-notification

- g-325a for myself with passport photo attached

- g-325a for the wife with passport photo attached

- i-130

- copy of my passport (entire thing)

- copy of wife's passport (photo page)

- marriage certificate notarization and translation (white book, i submit both mine and hers though i've seen only one is needed)

- wife's birth certificate notarization and translation (white book)

- photos of wedding and various trips we have taken together, as well as screen prints of us posting photos on facebook along with family/friend comments

- emails from family/friends to both of us regarding trips we took home and our wedding

- letters from friends who attended the wedding stating how long they have known each of us and that they attended our wedding

Good luck in the process! Please keep us updated with how everything goes!

Based on following along here on Candle, I think everything looks good.

Saved your write-up for future reference.

Good luck!

Dan~

• 2 weeks later...